Who would like to go back to the middle ages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You could go to Afghanistan tomorrow. Very similar.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The low average lifespan of 30-40 (I've seen different figures) was skewed by massive infant mortality. If you could make it past childhood things weren't so bleak.

Unless you were a woman. The chance of death from complications of childbirth was quite high. I've also read somewhere* (regarding C 13th England I think) that this was made worse by widespread anemia. Women's diets had relatively less meat than men's so there was a tendency to iron deficiency, even in the wealthy.

* That's the best reference you're getting;)

Petrichorwheels

Ah, the good old days of serfdom, plague, leprosy and eating turnips. What's not to love?

actually I like turnips - cyclists friend eaten the evening before a long ride.
not so keen on the other stuff - though I seem to recall that we went through a plague recently - churches just a bit more quiet about it than of old.
One could also of course argue that we have managed to reinvent serfdom - to the benefit of many - history is not a straight simple line.

Petrichorwheels

That's very true. There are certain things I do like or prefer but generally speaking I shudder to think about how narrow-minded and inward looking many people were like here in the 1980s when I was growing up. Sadly there are still certain parts where it is still like that.

still lots of intolerance around tyred - targets just changed.
and SOME (I stress the some) of the new abusers are black/female/gay.
Funny old lot folk.
Grew up during the 60s and 70s.
Frankly compared to the pressures and online shoot youngsters have to contend with these days. it seems like a golden age.
Despite the bad bad stuff, power cuts candles/apparent strife etc.
No I wouldn't go back but I have long thought that history and social history is not a straight-line - I well remember in one of the apparent good times countering someone's view that things post-war were just getting better and better.
I never believed it.
And as for Mr farkU's theory about the "end of history" - bollocks - once had someone push that line to me. Couldn't possibly say what I thought were the real reasons for her enthusiasm for that skyfairy theory :smile:

all the best - not getting at you I stress.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Give me the 60's. Music was good, you could see a doctor without having to wait your turn on the phone for ages to make an appointment and it was a family doctor who knew your past medical history. You could speak your mind freely with none of that politically correct rubbish. Work was easy to get and my grand parents and parents were still with me then.

The low average lifespan of 30-40 (I've seen different figures) was skewed by massive infant mortality. If you could make it past childhood things weren't so bleak.

Unless you were a woman. The chance of death from complications of childbirth was quite high. I've also read somewhere* (regarding C 13th England I think) that this was made worse by widespread anemia. Women's diets had relatively less meat than men's so there was a tendency to iron deficiency, even in the wealthy.

* That's the best reference you're getting;)

I recall an old saying (English or German) that said "Every child = one year off the mother's life". That said, if you have ten children in fifteen to 2twenty years, then the likelihood of dying in the process is much higher than if you have two to four children over the same period, which doesn't help the averages.

It would be interesting to see the numbers for workplace deaths or occupational illnesses leading to death for men in the same period. It's generally around 90% male now, with the safety regulations we currently have. The numbers of occupational related deaths in an era when serfs were essentially owned by the lord of the manor, who could decide to open a copper mine or foundry with no legal oversight or healthcare plan, and sailors had no navigational aids whatsoever is anybody's guess.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I recall an old saying (English or German) that said "Every child = one year off the mother's life". That said, if you have ten children in fifteen to 2twenty years, then the likelihood of dying in the process is much higher than if you have two to four children over the same period, which doesn't help the averages.

It would be interesting to see the numbers for workplace deaths or occupational illnesses leading to death for men in the same period. It's generally around 90% male now, with the safety regulations we currently have. The numbers of occupational related deaths in an era when serfs were essentially owned by the lord of the manor, who could decide to open a copper mine or foundry with no legal oversight or healthcare plan, and sailors had no navigational aids whatsoever is anybody's guess.

My Liege, hast thou performed a detailed risk assessment? This could be hazardous for thy serfs.

Good cousin HSE inspector, dost thou want thy head chopped off? Now doest thou one!

My Liege, hast thou performed a detailed risk assessment? This could be hazardous for thy serfs.

Good cousin HSE inspector, dost thou want thy head chopped off? Now doest thou one!

"And be thankful I'm not planning on a war with the next baron, or you'd be sent into battle with naught but a shirt and a big stick."

When you think about all the things that could happen to you it was amazing anyone was left to sire any children...

Top Bottom