Who would like to go back to the middle ages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ironically, the black death benefited the survivors and brought about social change due to the shortage of labour. Market forces meant that if conditions didn't suit a worker, there was plenty of competition for their services if they were prepared to move.

Norman Tebbit would have been correct......but the bike hadn't been invented for another 400 years or so.

The government would love it. They'd not need to pay old age pensions as few would live long enough.

I think I'm correct in saying that when state pensions were introduced to the UK, the government set eligibility to start two years later than the average male life expectancy.

I bet there was more of sense of community then that there is now. Of course if not want to live in the middle ages. I'm m satisfied living the life I've got.

All the negatives listed but if you did live then it would be normal life. Chances are you'd just get on with it as it's normal. I'm sure you'll find your fun among it all. Possibly creating the large family for example!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Essential reading for anyone seriously considering going back to the middle ages.
I'm only up to page 24 and learnt lots already!
P1000797.JPG

rikki

Legendary Member
I'd go back and pre-invent the bicycle. Riding them on well designed routes would be so ingrained in culture cars wouldn't get a look in by the time they got invented.

You could pre-invent a lot of things.
Some practical chemistry or engineering knowledge would make you a valuable person.
Care would have to be taken with some of your knowledge and ideas, else you are burnt as a heretic or witch.

classic33

Leg End Member
Some practical chemistry or engineering knowledge would make you a valuable person.
Care would have to be taken with some of your knowledge and ideas, else you are burnt as a heretic or witch.
You mean like building a craft capable of flight with a man/woman on board?

Paint/dye it all black and take to the night skies.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'd only go for visits. Park my time machine behind a bush . Then when the cry "Burn the heretic" goes up I'll be off in a noisy eeeh Aah eeeeh aaa BBC radiophonic workshop noise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwJ8BNL33c

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I would be in great demand being a Blacksmith :smile:

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I wouldn't even want to go back to the sixties or seventies. I strongly suspect those who are nostalgic for even the fairly recent past would get a nasty shock if they had to live in it again.

And if you're black, female or gay, don't even think about it.

That's very true. There are certain things I do like or prefer but generally speaking I shudder to think about how narrow-minded and inward looking many people were like here in the 1980s when I was growing up. Sadly there are still certain parts where it is still like that.

Top Bottom