Who's going to see Therese this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
PaulB said:
The first person allowed to touch the casket was a child. He was a cancer sufferer according to our local news.
Is he better now, then?

wafflycat

Rigid Raider said:
Do you realise that in some countries this kind of internet blasphemy could get us all flogged?

Heh..

I was brought up a strict Methodist, and in Methodism there's very little in the way of imagery compared to say Anglicanism/Catholicism. The chapel was very bare indeed! Much singing, much Bible reading, much poetry, but quite austere in outward expression. So even though I am a non-religious adult, I accept that my austere religious upbringing will colour how I see religions even now.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Very goulish and repulsive, hawking dismembered limbs around the world. Organized religion not my cup of tea, thanks.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
What I most dislike about the Church is the massive displays of power they put on for Papal events. The size of the crowds, the terrifying architecture and the multiple accolytes in lines, looking like some kind of private army or even a Fascist rally. Ghastly people altogether.

pope_funeral_mass.jpg

8082_512.jpg

Attachments

• pope_funeral_mass.jpg
    pope_funeral_mass.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10

numbnuts

Legendary Member
What I most dislike about the Church is the massive displays of power they put on for Papal events. The size of the crowds, the terrifying architecture and the multiple accolytes in lines, looking like some kind of private army or even a Fascist rally. Ghastly people altogether.
you can see some more when the Pope comes to the UK next years

PaulB

Legendary Member
Watt-O said:
Very goulish and repulsive, hawking dismembered limbs around the world. Organized religion not my cup of tea, thanks.

And not just ON the world, either! She apparently went up in one of the space suttles.

wafflycat

They didn't have the space shuttle in the 19thC, TBMcG, they had its forerunner, the space suttle, accurately named by PaulB. The suttle was steam powered, named after its virtually forgotten British inventor, Theodore Blumkvest Suttle, son of a Northumbrian farmer's daughter and Swedish sea captain, who created his steam suttle following much experimentation on the Northumbrian moors. One experiment had a major disaster occur when Suttle's brother-in-law, James Netherwitton, accidentally tied himself to the steam injector of Suttle's latest experimental engines as a result of getting his braces tangled. The extra pressure caused by the tangled braces effectively supercharged the steam injection, providing more thrust. The experimental engine, with Netherwitton attached excerted such force it broke free from it's mountings and shot skyward. It landed in a peatbog a few miles away, with Netherwitton still attached. Sadly Netherwitton did not survive and his body was covered in ice, leading Suttle to realise that the height attained by his suttle was far greater than any previous altitude by any man-made object launched from the ground. Suttle was so remorseful of what happened to his brother-in-law, yet so inspired, that he decided Netherwitton's death should not be in vain. Hence his subsequent frenzied development of a working space suttle, with the first being named 'James Netherwitton' in honour of his deceased relative.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
You're wasted in whatever job you're doing WC, unless you happen to write children's books...?

Top Bottom