1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's got a front reflector on their bike?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Maz, 24 Jan 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

I've just noticed that I have a front reflector attached to the handlebar. I don't need this on, do I? I've got lights already.

2. Regulator

Regulator Not a SPM snowflake.

Bikes must be sold with front and rear reflectors (and pedal reflectors where pedals are included as they aren't always), as well as a bell.

British Standards lights must include a reflector element, allowing the reflectors on the bike to be replaced by lights. Interestingly, pedal reflectors must remain on the bike and it is an offence to cycle without them - although I've never heard of anyone being done for it.

3. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Cheers, Reg.
    So I can ditch the reflector, right? I have a Cateye EL-something-or-other on the front.

4. cannondale boy

cannondale boy Über Member

On my commuting bike i have reflectors as i need them when it gets dark. On my racer though, i don't need them as i am always out when its daylight. I go out with the club at the weekends and all the cyclists don't have reflectors, they probably think it weighs them down to much :becool:

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

How long have you had the bike. Do tell me you've not had it long.....only just noticed the reflector............
    I use reflective tape on my forks of the commuting bike

6. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

Mate, a year! It was sort of pointing downwards so it was below the level of the h'bars, so didn't really notice it :becool:

I do notice things like chains snapping, tho...Cheers Fossy.

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

I ACTUALLY put mine back on as they do work - whether a cardriver notices them is another thing...

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

still got the front one after fifteen years, can't do any harm, might do some good and it costs nothing

9. OP
    OP
    Maz

Maz Guru

I think I'll add 10 more and make it look like a Lambretta.

10. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

11. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Not me. I think the Cateye EL-500 and the Busch and Muller Ixon IQ do the trick :biggrin:

12. I have a reflector on my wheels.:biggrin:

13. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

My old Dawes commuter has one that fixes on an angled bracket to the right fork. When I first got the bike, I thought it was an archaic accessory and removed it. Nowadays, knowing better, it wears it with pride :biggrin:.

:biggrin:

14. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I remember those, cor

Mine bolts through the mounting for the front mudguard, above the wheel, don;t bother no-on

15. ratty2k

ratty2k New Member

As mentioned earlier, reflective tape on the forks and headtube.
    And a VERY bright light...... but apparently that still makes me invisible to some people!