Who's next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've read some stuff recently which says that Al Qaeda is regrouping in, I think, Algeria (poss Morocco). I suppose that adds up to the possibility of their actions spilling over into other N African countries.

jay clock

Massive member
"Grammar nazi"

sorry... lucky I let the circumflex on Mâcon slip!

mcr

Veteran
I've also recently got back from my summer's tour - Mulhouse to Montpellier.

Cathryn, I found your tour reports here and on CrazyGuy very inspiring as I did bits of your French part in reverse (and I did the wonderful Walensee stretch in Switzerland two years ago). The Bourne Gorge in the Vercors was still closed two weeks ago (except 5.30pm to 8am) and the Col de Romeyere at the Ecouges was closed because of a landslide, so anyone heading there this summer watch out. So short of backtracking some 30km to the Furon road I ended up going round the Vercors (via Pont-en-Royans) rather over them - still stunningly scenic though.

I agree Montpellier isn't the easiest place to navigate, though I did spot one sign for 'centre ville' on a cycle path at one of the big roundabouts then inevitably lost the trail - agree about the tram lines (the tram stops also have useful maps!).

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks MCR!! I'm still gutted about the Gorges du Bourne...I'd been so hyped about cycling down that road!! The Vercors were fab though!

Glad you enjoyed the journal! I'm always pleased when someone other than my Mum enjoys them :biggrin:

jay clock

Massive member
Forgot to say, on the subject of Libya, Peter Gostelow has been there and certainly comments about European's being "fair game" seem pretty wide of the mark. His tale is here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=73773&v=Kk

I loved this bit

"I will go to Ajdabiya this afternoon in my car. You should come". It had been my strong desire, as always, to cross the country only by bicycle. But Ajdabiya was only 150km away and it was saving me a day on the visa. I also somehow felt indebted to Ahmed and an invitation and chance to stay with a Libyan family seemed too good an opportunity to turn down. There was however one vital piece of information Ahmed only decided to tell me when I was loading my bike and bags into his car and driving back to his house to collect his wife and three baby daughters.
"If my wife suddenly starts crying in the house please don't be worried. Her brother died yesterday and she doesn't know yet".
I'd just finished a sweet cup of mint tea and slice of chocolate cake in Ahmed's guest room when there was an almighty scream from the kitchen. There then followed an un-human like wailing sound as Ahmed, leaving wife in the kitchen, returned to the guest room, face covered in sweat and said "Lets go".

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
jay clock said:
Cathryn, you were rightly selected as a featured journal on CGOAB. What I like most is how enthusiastic you are!

Thank you! I was so chuffed to be selected. And yes, I'm one of those annoying people who are generally enthusiastic about most things.

bigguy

Hey Dayvo, i couldnt help noticing in your post where you mentioned your age... you were born in the same year as me!!!!...... (at the moment) I could'nt even ride across county Antrim never mind the vast land you're planning to do.....

Fair play to ye man!!!... :laugh:... good luck, & enjoy!

bigguy said:
Hey Dayvo, i couldnt help noticing in your post where you mentioned your age... you were born in the same year as me!!!!...... (at the moment) I could'nt even ride across county Antrim never mind the vast land you're planning to do.....

Fair play to ye man!!!... :tongue:... good luck, & enjoy!

Thanks bigguy! :tongue:
There's still a lot to plan and prepare. :biggrin:
Age is just a number, attitude is more important.
Mind you, if you continue to cycle and enjoy it, then a long expedition isn't out the question for you, for example, around your lovely green Ireland/island.

john59

Guru
We’ve just got back from our tour of the Loire area, 760km covered with a couple of rest days. Weather was great apart from one day.

John

Top Bottom