Who's taken their winter tyres off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeLiker

ride same tyres all year round

+1

I changed from Duranos to Mrathon Supremes in December for increased P*nct*re protection on the Gekko, my main commuting machine

The Catrike Expedition was all booted and spurred for winter weather, but it was a waste, so back to the marathon plus for intermediate weather

On either trike, it is a quick 15 minutes to put the ice tyres on if it does become bad

Bodhbh

Guru
I'll leave em on till Easter, there're on a spare machine tho, so not like it's any hurry...still plenty of time to get some ice on the roads yet!

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm about to swap a gatorskin and a durano (mixed tyres on one bike) for a pair of shiny new gatorskins. Not summer yet..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw a warning of potential ice for tomorrow, after this rain .... But every time I get the spiked bike out it is fine and I could have done without, and twice this winter when I've decided I didn't need the spiked tyres I've had minor slips on icy surfaces! What a dilemma!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I nearly dusted off the summer bike for the audax today.
Hey it's Devon, practically the tropics me thinks.
Glad I stuck with the winter steed now...

MikeG

Guru
Well, now that I have two bikes the question doesn't apply....... :smile:

Anyway, with one bike I would certainly not be swapping to summer tyres yet, and the mudguards would still be on for another 4 or 6 weeks. Spring can be a filthy wet time of year, and may years we'll have a good hard frost in April. That's down hear in sunny East Anglia, too. One year in Leicester we had snow in June.

I left my summer tyres on too long last autumn, and I still have a lump from my fall in November as a result of that misjudgement, so err on the side of caution and leave those winter tyres on for a while yet. As for pressures: I run 110-120 in the summer (110 if I am doing a really long ride where I'd like just a little more comfort), and in the winter I am quite happy to plod around on 85 lbs. Smearing yourself all over the tarmac is not so much fun anymore, and slower tyres just mean you don't have to be on the bike quite so long to achieve the same amount of fitness work.

Mike

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Certainly not summer tyre conditions here in Oxfordshire, too many floods, mahoosive potholes under the water and a lot of debris over the roads generally. Did a moist 45 miles over the Lambourn Downs today, water everywhere ..... it's pouring again now :sad:

@biggs682 took the Holdsworth, it's become my favourite bike :cheers:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Schwalbe Ice Spiker wheels have come off the MTB after having not been used.
The commuter road bike doesn't have 'winter tyres' - just the same all year round; Schwalbe Lugano's.
The Secteur has it's 'winter' wheels still on though. That's because I only use the main set on events/races/club runs.

Given I was riding on ice yesterday on top of the Pennines I'd say it's not quite time yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom