Who's taken their winter tyres off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My marathon winters are on a spare set of wheels, so they are always ready. I am a bit of a wuss with ice and the slightest sign of it the winters get put on the bike and I've done just over 400 miles on them this year, this time last year it was just under 700 miles, so either last year was worse or I am becoming less of a wuss.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Fab Foodie glad to hear you are still enjoying the old girl , when you are ready for a change let me know ???

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've taken the Schwalbe Smart Sams off the Kona which is my bad weather ride - they've only really been needed for a couple of days this winter when the roads were really muddy as there's been zero snow here. Instead of going back to Gatorskins which cut up really badly, I'm trying out a pair of these as a compromise.

On the other 2 main bikes the same tyres are used all year round without any problem - Conti GP400s on the Boardman and Michelin Lithion 2 on the Triban.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie glad to hear you are still enjoying the old girl , when you are ready for a change let me know ???
Ha! @biggs682
Maybe another Holdsworth! But right now I've had a cycling epiphany regarding my bike fleet....

The Holdsworth will slowly evolve into my 'fast bike'.
I've acquired a s/h 531 fork for the 50s Holdsworth fixie.
The 531 British Eagle Touring Frame frame rebuild is on hold.
The 9 year old TCR1 frame is NFG thanks to a knackered and obsolete headset they used at the time, so the 9spd Ultegra kit will be transfered onto... a custom Rourke 853 fast/Audax build! I need to book a date to visit before I change my mind, but I feel pretty certain it's the way to go.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got some new tyres to replace worn out GP4 Seasons, but won't be putting nice new tyres on until the weather improves a little.

The spikes will stay on the MTB for another month.

Buzzinonbikes

My Durano+ on the commuter are worn down now so need replacing. I rode the summer bike this weekend and felt great on climbs I normally struggle with. Probably placebo but I'm thinking of shodding the commuter with regular Durano or GP4 seasons to save 100g per wheel now I will be heading into the lanes more often straight from work. Sue me ;)

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Me! Got my Top Contact Winter Plus off yesterday in the bitter cold wind and got my brand new Touring Plus on. My ride to work this morning was smoooooth.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Thanks, I am missing my summer tyres (Michelin Pro 4 Service Course) so wondered if adjusting the pressure might make them a bit more useable in winter. I did try riding with them down to 85psi but was still puncturing so gave up and put some Michelin Lithion 2 tyres on to get me through winter.

I've used them over winter and they will stay on for the summer too. They are super grippy.

Top Bottom