Who's the most complete footballer ever???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Greedo

bhoyjim said:
What about Larsson Greedo ? he could/has done it all, score, pass, tackle, absolute outstanding player, won the big cup, almost won us the Uefa if it wasn't for Rab F*****g Douglas, then there's Jinky.....where do you start, Hail Hail

I was trying not to be biased :blush:

In the flesh though I have to admit I saw Zidane on a few occasions and as much as I loved Larsson I think Zidane was better. Never saw Jinky in the flesh to be fair. Only 37 mate!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

HLaB said:
Andy Goram certainly had something to him, ah you don't mean complete in that way :blush:

Aye a complete w8nker the man is :angry:

Noodley

Most complete player ever has to be Johan Cruyff, Rinus Michels' most famous and best exponent of Total Football.

There may be better players but nobody can come near him as far as 'complete'....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Based only on those I saw play in the flesh, Cruyff has to be up there, after all "total football" gave him free reign which few had before or since, the young Ryan Giggs too, but for me there is only one...

...the late, great, lamented Bobby Moore. You'd pick him first in any world all time great XI and build a team around him surely?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:
Based only on those I saw play in the flesh, Cruyff has to be up there, after all "total football" gave him free reign which few had before or since, the young Ryan Giggs too, but for me there is only one...

...the late, great, lamented Bobby Moore. You'd pick him first in any world all time great XI and build a team around him surely?
One of the best defenders ever, but when you are talking complete footballer it must mean someone who could play in any position on the pitch. Mooro did play in goal for West Ham once when the keeper got injured, but you could never see him sprinting down the wing and skinning the full back.

Depends what you mean by complete.. Many talented but slightly lazy players.. I've seen Le Tissier play quite a number of times down at the Dell and St Mary's.. for me the best player I've seen live. Maradonna in 86 best I've seen on the telly.. too young for Pele/Best/Cruyff..although I've often seen the old footage.
Zidane for modern game on the box.. lets face it the space is closed down quicker and the game a whole lot faster than 20/30/40 years ago.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mangaman said:
Ah - but why isn't he your avatar then Dell?
because Essien is fabulously mild-mannered, and Stoichkov was fabulously grumpy.

U

User169

My father always held that the best player he'd seen was Il Gigante Buono, John Charles.

World class as a centre half and striker (he sometimes played both positions in the same match) and voted by Juventus as their best overseas player of all time - not bad considering that Platini and Zidane both played for Juve in their prime.

A sensational scoring record in Italy - the most defensive minded league at its most defensive minded period - helping Juve to three scudettos. Until recently one of his goals was used in the opening sequence to Italy's version of Match of the Day.

A genuinely nice bloke by all accounts too. There's a great story of Torino fans (Juve's derby rivals) making a racket outside Charles' apartment having beaten Juve that day. Charles invited them in, whereby they promptly drank the entire contents of his valuable wine cellar and tried to convince him to defect to torino.

What might have been had he not been injured when Wales faced Brazil in the '58 world cup quarter final.

Top Bottom