Who's the most complete footballer ever???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
dellzeqq said:
Michael Essien

even better than Hristo Stoichkov

If we're talking about Eastern Europeans then surely Georgi Hagi was a more influential player than Hristo?

mangaman

rich p said:
If we're talking about Eastern Europeans then surely Georgi Hagi was a more influential player than Hristo?

Georgi and Hristo were both great though - I loved the moody quixotic brilliance of both of them.

Berbatov tries to be a bit like them but is just a bit crap compared as a footballer. I prefer Hristo for his free kick against Germany in 1994 that eventually knocked out the diving Klinsman et al that year.

Hagi, of course was great too ;)

I hope to see a number of unfeasably skilled, unheard of, moody Eastern Europeans shine this year for the likes of of Serbia and Slovenia.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Franz Beckenbauer must have been a pretty good all-rounder. Could play in defence or midfield and probably up front or on the wing if he needed to. He could score.

zizou

Veteran
If it is for most complete footballer ever (rather than best) then i'd pick someone like Beckenbaur or Ruud Gullit. Both played in several positions and were world class in them all, great mix of athleticism, skill and vision whether defending or attacking. Of current players then Javier Zanetti and Michael Essien seem the most complete - can defend, can attack and have been very versatile for the teams over the years in several positions. Shame they are both missing out on the world cup.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ruud Gullit is a great call.
When Gullit signed for Chelsea I just couldn't believe it. I thought all my Christmas's had rolled into one. One of his early games for us, against Middlesbrough he single handedly destroyed them.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't want to blow my own trumpet but truth will out.

During my rather under-achieving career (ahem!) in the beautiful I game I played in every position bar goalie and even ended up as sub, running the line and washing the kit. I bet none of your Johnnie Foreigner superstars can top that!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
rich p said:
I don't want to blow my own trumpet but truth will out.

During my rather under-achieving career (ahem!) in the beautiful I game I played in every position bar goalie and even ended up as sub, running the line and washing the kit. I bet none of your Johnnie Foreigner superstars can top that!

I was actually going to suggest you rich - well you or Stan Collymore :bicycle:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
threebikesmcginty said:
I was actually going to suggest you rich - well you or Stan Collymore :bicycle:

Dear old Stan. Not seen him in a while. I think he must have stopped going up that lane with his dog:wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Scared a brilliant goal against Chelsea when he was with Notts Forest. Run from the half way line with the ball, ran through the defenders as if they weren't there and slotted the ball in the net... a fantastic piece of skill.

threebikesmcginty said:
I saw him play once - Cov V Notts F. He was very very good albeit a bit lazy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He was quite a decent, intelligent 5 Live pundit which seemed incongruous with his non-football related behaviour such as dogging and beating up the gorgeous (then!) Ulrika.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Delftse Post said:
My father always held that the best player he'd seen was Il Gigante Buono, John Charles.

World class as a centre half and striker (he sometimes played both positions in the same match) and voted by Juventus as their best overseas player of all time - not bad considering that Platini and Zidane both played for Juve in their prime.

A sensational scoring record in Italy - the most defensive minded league at its most defensive minded period - helping Juve to three scudettos. Until recently one of his goals was used in the opening sequence to Italy's version of Match of the Day.

A genuinely nice bloke by all accounts too. There's a great story of Torino fans (Juve's derby rivals) making a racket outside Charles' apartment having beaten Juve that day. Charles invited them in, whereby they promptly drank the entire contents of his valuable wine cellar and tried to convince him to defect to torino.

What might have been had he not been injured when Wales faced Brazil in the '58 world cup quarter final.

Not a lot of people know this, but there's a giant model of John Charles suspended in a former copper-rolling plant in Landore in Swansea. He's in a sort of permanent dive for a header, and floats above cases of stuffed animals and vintage vehicles (including bicycles). Just ask if you need any more indispensable football facts...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
theclaud said:
Not a lot of people know this, but there's a giant model of John Charles suspended in a former copper-rolling plant in Landore in Swansea. He's in a sort of permanent dive for a header, and floats above cases of stuffed animals and vintage vehicles (including bicycles). Just ask if you need any more indispensable football facts...
Don't call us, we'll call you...;)

Top Bottom