Why a camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dubman

Guru
so they can moan about car drivers and post the vids on you tube :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lots of people started to have them to document leisure rides etc - it was quite common for mountain bikers to post their gnarly exploits, for example, and Maggot, of this parish, recorded a great vid of him descending Cheddar Gorge at speed.

People also realised that there was some benefit in recording commutes - both to look at their road behaviour and see whether there was room for improvement, and to record the behaviour of others. There have also been some cases in which the video has prevented a "your word against theirs" situation after an accident (pretty sure Bollo's off was in this category - a Volvo driver turned across him without warning).

Magnatom posted some stuff in the CC blog about this too.

ChrisKH

Guru
As a backup. I have been hit on a number of occasions now, once seriously, and I didn't have a witness on each and police could not take action. How much notice they would take of it is another matter.

How much time do you have?:biggrin:

Here is the short version, in no particular order!

1. Capturing evidence
  2. Educating yourself
  3. Educating other cyclists
  4. Educating Drivers
  5. Prevention
  6. Campaigning
  7. It creates my own Zen bubble:smile:
  8. Amusement
  9. Debate
Remember, when you buy a camera, remember to say magnatom sent you! :blush:

dubman

Guru
magnatom said:
How much time do you have?:smile:

1. Capturing evidence
  2. Educating yourself
  4. Educating Drivers
  5. Prevention
  6. Campaigning
  8. Amusement
  9. Debate
Remember, when you buy a camera, remember to say magnatom sent you! ;)

point 1 is exactly what i mean , post it on you tube and have a good moan :smile:

magnatom said:
How much time do you have?;)

1. Capturing evidence
  2. Educating yourself
  4. Educating Drivers
  5. Prevention
  6. Campaigning
  8. Amusement
  9. Debate
Remember, when you buy a camera, remember to say magnatom sent you! :biggrin:

You forgot one:

10. It makes me feel more important than I actually am.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
Because they cannot ride properly and feel the need to post a new vid everytime they have a ''bad'' overtake. Educating?? yeah on how not to ride in the first place.

*Points and laughs*

*Still waiting to see if you'll have the courage to be filmed in December*.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I got mine mainly because I used to go for rides round London after work at the w/e and got fed up with having to get my camera out of my bag, turn it on, take a couple of photos and then put it all away. Now if I see something which might make a good photo, I only need to look that way and then search for the shot in the avi when I get home. Not only that but there are dozens of slight variations to pick from.
The vids of idiot drivers was a by-product.

User3143 said:
Because they cannot ride properly and feel the need to post a new vid everytime they have a ''bad'' overtake. Educating?? yeah on how not to ride in the first place.

:rolleyes:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
User3143 said:
Not a question of courage, my record out on the road speaks for itself in terms of riding ability. It's about respecting the rider who you ride with, and I have none for you. You only have to look at your vids online and the comments you have posted on youtube and on here to realise that you have not really got a clue when it actually comes down to it. I seem to remember asking you a simple question on the highway code regarding the hand signal for stopping and you did not even though that. Yet you feel the need to read cyclecraft from cover to cover and regurgitate bits and pieces when it suits.

In terms of cycling you are boring BM, I just get the feeling that you don't appreciate cycling for it is. But rather look at it as a means of transport and feel the need to post crap vids that don't really eduacate but rather draw attention to ''you'' and futher highlights your questionable riding ability.The last vid you posted was a classic example of this where that car pulled out, you had more then enough time to brake. But you just had to make a point, ride up besides the car and sound your airzound, amateur.

Forget filming me in December, I don't want you no where near me. Besides I would ride so hard you would not be able to keep up.

You know the first thing that goes through my mind when reading replies like yours, Lee, is whether you cycle in an area without many of the same issues others have experienced?

The videos myself and others produce may indeed in your eyes be crap but I wonder why you've a) bothered to watch them (if you have indeed) - instead of executing self censorship (most are pretty well described in advance too); and :biggrin: why worry about leaving a lengthy reply?

Is it really worth the effort replying if its not affecting you, not illegal and not dangerous (in most cases)?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ahahahahahahaahaaahaaa! It's really funny being criticised by you given the forum reaction to some of the comments you've made about your own riding. No wonder you don't have the courage to be filmed, IMO.

And why the three times repeated comment about not being able to keep up, insecurity I think. Anyway, I wish you well...

Top Bottom