Why am I not losing weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay

Veteran
I have been where you are. Keep one thing in mind. Muscle is heavier than fat. Just weighing yourself is not enough.

Agreed, your weight is just a blunt statistic, don't get hung up about it.
You didn't put your 17st in context with your height, build and goals. Sure, if you want to road race and compete you will need to loose weight, but if you want to do great rides and enjoy yourself then its not compulsory.
I've carried 17st (6'2")across the Raid Pyreneen, up the Ventoux etc. I'm not built like a "proper cyclist" - not all of us are - sure I'm carrying a bit more fat than I should, but I have non-cycling muscles that I dont particulary want to loose!
You're only a month in, as your muscles get stronger your metabolism should increase, so if you engage common sense with your calorie intake you'll have a virtuous circle which should see some weight come off, but more importantly, your body fat % will go down, your body shape will change and you'll be a stronger rider.

Nebulous

Guru
I lost a pound a week for over a year - without counting calories or weighing anything. I did it by being disciplined about my eating habits and watching out for compensating in other ways - reduce your lunch for instance and you will find yourself taking bigger portions in the evening. I ate less Monday to Friday and a bit more at the weekend to try and stop my metabolism slowing down. I reached a point where I reckoned I could 'feel' when I was running a calorie deficit and burning fat.

I also drink a lot of water, particularly in the evening. Probably the biggest change I made was eating fruit at lunchtime. For about 20 years at lunchtime I bought sandwiches or hot food in colder weather from local shops. Our local convenience store started selling 5 items of fruit for a pound and I have eaten that just about every lunchtime - unless I have a lunchtime meeting, for the past 14 months.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was 16 stone last year I am now 12.5 stone and a lot fitter. I used the Mydailyplate option on the Livestrong site and it really helped me a lot. Understanding how much I was eating and the amount of calories was a great help.

That fact is I always ate far more than I admitted to myself or even knew about. How did I end up that big easily I ate far more calories than I needed to each day. Up to 10 years ago I was racing 10 months of the year along with plenty of training miles, during this time I could eat without putting on the weight, then along came 9 years without riding but still eating the same. Truth is I ended up a big fat unhealthy git, never again.

I am now 55 and feel more like 40, last year I was 54 and felt like 60.

Nebulous, that is a fantastic achievement and one I hope you are proud of, just imagine getting up in the morning picking up 25 bags of sugar or a 5 gallon container of water and carrying it around all day, this is how I mark what I have lost.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Wow - some fantastic responses so far!
Secondly - I'm beginning to think I'm eating big portions. I didn't want to go down the 'weighing' route but I might start by being conscious of portion sizes. With cereal I tend to stick to Shreddies, but I prefer to steer away from .

If you've got the discipline then cutting down portion sizes is definitely less of a faff, but don't dismiss the food weighing if smaller portions don't work for you.
As I say, your thread just caught my eye with your comments about giving up on it as it's exactly how I felt!
In fact, I think I scoffed crisps all weekend in protest after that little knock back
blush.gif

The food weighing is a bit of a chore but you don't have to do it for long as you quickly learn what "correct" portion sizes look like.
Saying that, I need to start again in earnest as I've been getting lazy with it, once again, and it's the ONLY thing that's worked well for me so far in all my Years battling the bulge!

Keep us posted
thumbsup.png

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm not personally convinced that sugar is that big a deal (and I'm fully prepared to be shot down in flames here)
I can't really back that up with proven links or anything, but from everything I've seen so far, carb calories seem to promote far more weight gain than sugar calories so I would personally concentrate more on those than the sugar in your drinks (My personal opinion only)

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

I quite like the look of the OnMyPlate App (that I just downloaded on my Blackberry). Being a bit of a geek as well (not obsessive mind) this might work because I have my Blackberry all the time. Nice.

'Habit' is the key word for me I think. I also think meal planning is a good idea because both my wife & I get lazy at dinnertime. We both work full time so it's the last thing on our mind during the day and we generally end up with 'pasta & x' or 'rice & y'. We do get a veg box delivered each week, but most of it gets wasted if I'm honest. It's silly really because since we've had kids we batch cook for them and freeze (soup, pasta sauce, chicken curry, bolognese, fish fingers, chicken nuggets (yes we make our own!)) and don't bother for ourselves. Time for a change I think.

Loads to think about. Thanks again for all the replies.

tyred

Legendary Member
I will highlight the point about drinking a lot of water. We can be thirsty and think we are hungry. Before a meal, drink half a pint of water and you will probably find you eat less.

I had lost 4 stone without calorie counting or cutting out anything, just eating more of the healthy foods I like and less of the unhealthy foods but not really denying myself anything. This was before I got back into cycling and I was walking 4 miles a day at a very brisk pace. I have put on some weight this year again but I'm going to make a real effort to lose it from now on. I do suffer from a sweet tooth and a love of Coke and similar drinks and without realising it, I had let my intake creep up to my old level. I know what I need to reduce!

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

I registered on the LiveStrong web site for the OnMyPlate stuff. I also looked at some of the recipes and forums, but I hate the US 'cup' measuring system arrghhhh :angry: I understand the benefits (no weighing) but it's backward even compared to lb and oz! I have actually managed to go metric and using the cup system just doesn't compute.

Ho hum

Panter

Just call me Chris...
A lot of them use the cup system, very annoying!
I used to the the myplate app on iphone, but they don't do an android version.
The one I use now is called "myfitnesspal" or something like that, it's just as guilty of using cup measurements but also has a fair few conventional weights as well as a barcode scanner which is of some use.
The most useful thing though is the quick add calories only feature, where you just enter the calories you've consumed as all products have them listed on the packaging now anyway and you can quickly calculate by weight.
The myplate app didn't have that function, but I think it may be something they introduced after I stopped using it?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As others have said, in order to lose weight you have to set up a calorie deficit.

An average man, without taking excercise into account, should consume about 2,500kcal a day to stay at the same weight. A 500kcal reduction in intake will translate roughly to 1lb weight loss a week, but it will fluctuate. You don't really want to lose more than 1-2lb a week or you'll get ill. So you can either eat 500-1000kcal less, or do exercise amounting to 500-1000kcal, or ideally a combination.

It's worth bearing in mind that shorter rides more often will probably give you more consistent weight loss that longer rides infrequently. I cycle to work every day, but it's only 10k each way and takes me 30-40 mins. I reckon that's about 500-600kcal daily. I don't get to go on longer rides very often, only once or twice a month. Nevertheless I have lost 1.5st since the beginning of the year, which I'm happy with.

I am 6'3". I was 16st 11lb at the beginning of the year, and right now I'm 15st 3lb. I aim to be a whisker over 14st by the end of the year, and then maintain that.

I wouldn't worry about not seeing much weight loss after only a few weeks, it can take a month or two for it to become apparent.

Nebulous

Guru
I was 16 stone last year I am now 12.5 stone and a lot fitter. I used the Mydailyplate option on the Livestrong site and it really helped me a lot. Understanding how much I was eating and the amount of calories was a great help.

That fact is I always ate far more than I admitted to myself or even knew about. How did I end up that big easily I ate far more calories than I needed to each day. Up to 10 years ago I was racing 10 months of the year along with plenty of training miles, during this time I could eat without putting on the weight, then along came 9 years without riding but still eating the same. Truth is I ended up a big fat unhealthy git, never again.

I am now 55 and feel more like 40, last year I was 54 and felt like 60.

Nebulous, that is a fantastic achievement and one I hope you are proud of, just imagine getting up in the morning picking up 25 bags of sugar or a 5 gallon container of water and carrying it around all day, this is how I mark what I have lost.

Thanks Screenman - my situation has a lot of similarities to yours - though I had pushed my limits a bit further before I did anything about it.

I'm late forties and had very slowly gained weight for almost twenty years - ever since I turned thirty. It's amazing how insidious it can be. Even putting on a pound every three months gives forty pounds in ten years!

Anyway I'm 5'9" and I started last year at 18 stone 2 pounds. I've really stopped trying to lose any more, having lost for over a year, but I'm now at 13 stone 3 pounds.

I don't think I ate more than I admitted to - but I was certainly much less fit than I woud ever have admitted. I still regarded myself as pretty fit, when in truth I often became breathless climbing stairs. Health issues weren't a huge factor, but I was worried that they could be. One issue was snoring and possible sleep apnoea, leading to me being very tired during the day, particularly afternoons. I can't believe how little sleep I need now - or that I rarely feel tired.

All in all it's been a hugely positive experience- feel great, lots of energy, though I have developed a potentially expensive cycling habit!

amaferanga

Veteran
I will highlight the point about drinking a lot of water. We can be thirsty and think we are hungry. Before a meal, drink half a pint of water and you will probably find you eat less.

I've heard this before, but if you only put on your plate what you plan to eat then you don't need to do anything to suppress your appetite. Maybe more relevant when you're eating out I guess.

WychwoodTrev

..Hi ya bintanman I have been on a diet since jan 11th and cycling since the start of march. I have allmost cut out bread only 4 slices a week as beans on toast or scrambled egg at weekends. During the week I eat cream cracker or ryvita with philadelphia there are loads of flavours my fave are sweet chilli or roasted peppers and fruit. Evening meals loads of veg I have lots o fbrussel sprouts. I started out at 18 st and now weigh 15st and feel so much healther for it. But I didnt lose weight every week good luck and keep it up as its well worth it.

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

I've heard cutting out bread helps a lot. A friend of mine went on the Red/Green day diet and lost quite a bit of weight just by cutting out bread as a carb.

Ideally I would like to exercise every day, little and often, but it's just not that practical. I'm out on the bike every other day at the moment doing 12-18 miles and a longer ride on weekends. I hear what you say about commuting but I tend to work from home more often that go into the office these days, plus I don't fancy the logistical nightmare of cycling into work. It would be nice though; to have a local job and cycle to work. At the moment I live in a great area for cycling but too far out of London to commute JUST using a bike. I could do the old train/cycle thing but again it doesn't seem right. To be honest I think I would rather run than cycle in that way.

What other suggestions are there for breakfast that don't involve bread? Obviously I know porridge and cereal....

Fiona N

Veteran
.... Maybe my memories of running 40 miles/week and shedding weight easily are still fresh.

I'm with you there - in 1992 after a serious ankle injury stopped me doing any sport or even walking without pain, I put on about 5kgs before I had an operation to sort the problem and another 5 kgs before I started physio after the plaster cast came off. So by the time I started running again I had more than 10kgs to shift - it took about 6 months but I don't ever remember having to diet or even restrict what I ate, running at lunchtimes and commuting to work by bike were enough.

Sadly, nearly 20 years on and the same isn't true - I can't run any more due to knackered knees so shifting excess weight is purely by cycling (totally ineffective so far and that includes long distance Audaxes - 400km a couple of weeks ago resulted in a weight loss of 0.0 kgs) and discipline (also so far ineffective :wacko:).

Top Bottom