Why am I so lacking in motivation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been pleased with what I have managed to get done this year, even managed to get up the ladder into the loft for the tree and decorations etc and to try and sort out the mess that Maz had made putting them up there last year (to be fair she doesn't like going up there as its only partially boarded so just goes up the ladder and puts everything within arms reach of the hatch)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Due to unused leave at work, I have had quite a few days off over Christmas. I had all sorts of plans, had intended to cycle loads but apart from a leisurely 30 miler on Christmas day and few short utility rides, I haven't, mainly because I couldn't be bothered.

The old steel MTB i had re-configured with 8 speed hub gear and front dynohub is still waiting for me to fit the new saddle I had bought for it. The self-adjust mechanism on the back brakes on my car isn't self-adjusting properly and I had meant to take the drums off and free them out but I haven't. I had planned a little walking holiday over NY for myself but decided against it as I couldn't be bothered. My house and garage are in a mess. I did actually get an invite to a party tonight but didn't feel like it.

I'm bored with sitting around but there are loads of things I could and should be doing with my time but I just can't seem to motivate myself at the moment. I know my mood has been a little up and down recently but even in my darkest, most depressed days, I would throw myself completely into any chosen activity whereas now I can't seem to do that. I know I would enjoy a bike ride if I actually went on one. Pottering about in the garage has always been one of my favourite hobbies yet I can't seem to work up motivation. I put the car in the garage earlier today and that is as far as I've got with my brake overhaul :sad:

It's because you have available time to which you can defer the things you need/want to do.

I retired 10 years back when I was 48 and thought it would be wonderful - I quickly fell into apathy with one wasted day merging into another. After a year I set up another (albeit much smaller) business that provides me with some impetus.

I get a lot more things done now since I have the work metronome flicking away in my brain even though I only work around 800 hours a year.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Today's accomplishments:

Made some carrot and lentil soup.
Installed an emulation of a hardware interface for controlling inputs out puts and pulswidth modulation for a Raspberry Pi
Trimmed the flash off a plastic kit.
Gathered the ingredients together for the evening meal.
Had lunch.
Drank rum
Wasted Spent some time in CC

Further updates pending.

See it's easy @tyred

Update 15:07
Fettling the kit parts to make them move smoothly when assembled is taking longer than anticipated.

Update 17:43
Finished fettling kit number one. Started on kit number two.
Put the remainder of the carrot and lentil soup into containers ready for freezing.
Started cooking smoked haddock and new potatoes.

Update 19:35
Finished fettling kit number two. Solvent and applicators prepared for kit assembly tomorrow.
Evening meal consumed.
Ingredients for Spinach and lentil dhal put out for cooking tomorrow.
Number drills and Minicraft retrieved from cupboard for Peckett 0-4-0 kit drilling
Poured an absinth, time to watch TV.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
What do you mean so you've heard. You started all the rumours. ^_^
I'm innocent.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Today's accomplishments:

Installed an emulation of a hardware interface for controlling inputs out puts and pulswidth modulation for a Raspberry Pi
Had lunch.
Drank rum

Further updates pending.

See it's easy @tyred

Fettling the kit parts to make them move smoothly when assembled is taking longer than anticipated.

Put the remainder of the carrot and lentil soup into containers ready for freezing.
Smoked haddock? I haven't had that in years! I can smell it cooking from here!:hungry:

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I'm also lacking motivation.:cycle:

Mainly though, it's due to getting up at 3am every day; getting home from work at 1pm and not having the energy to do anything! Most mileage I do at the moment is the 3 miles there, 3 miles back commute. And even my commutes I'm finding that I'm riding them much slower then usual.

I haven't even cleaned her for a few months :sad:

I'm getting married in July, and want to try to get in better shape...Hopefully I'll get my motivation back and I'll be rolling again very soon :bicycle:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Today's accomplishments:

Had lunch.
Drank rum

Further updates pending.

See it's easy @tyred

Update 19:35
Finished fettling kit number two. Solvent and applicators prepared for kit assembly tomorrow.
Evening meal consumed.
Ingredients for Spinach and lentil dhal put out for cooking tomorrow.
Number drills and Minicraft retrieved from cupboard for Peckett 0-4-0 kit drilling
Poured an absinth, time to watch TV.
What happened to your butler?;)

Top Bottom