Why am I starving at 2:30am???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I dont understand why I am getting major hunger pangs in the aerly hours recently. I mean they are so bad I wake up (on the rare occassion I actually got to sleep). I have this craving for cornflakes....do you remember the secret lemonade drinker ads...R whites....well I am a secret cornflake eater at the moment and it's driving me bananas.

I am eating a proper meal around 6-7pm so what is the problem???

...now...will it be plain or frosties tonight?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Special K !! ;)

trio25

Über Member
I often have a bowl of cereal before bed if I have been out on a long ride that day, otherwise I wake up at silly o'clock so so hungry.

My guess is you are not eating enough for your activity levels.

Bowl of plain yoghurt with half a banana or an apple grated into it before you go to bed.

Will keep you going, without keeping you awake.

We have supper at about 7.30pm, then some yoghurt later, otherwise I wake up at 2am like you.

domtyler

Über Member
I don't understand how a craving for cornflakes is driving you to bananas! ;)

Anyway, the answer is to have plenty of milk proteins before bed. These are very slow to digest and prevent you from feeling hungry during the night. You can buy special products, like Nocté but essentially it is just milk. The milk contains chemicals that aid sleep too so is a good idea all round.

How is the weight loss going anyway? Have you lost a little too much too fast lately? Give us some more information and it will make it easier to come up with suggestions, but your chronic feelings of hunger may actually be symptomatic of something else. I mean hypoglycaemia of course, which could mean a trip to the docs is in order.

Twenty Inch said:
Bowl of plain yoghurt with half a banana or an apple grated into it before you go to bed.

Will keep you going, without keeping you awake.

We have supper at about 7.30pm, then some yoghurt later, otherwise I wake up at 2am like you.
Supper at 7:30? That's amazing, I never have dinner until about 9 or 10 O'Clock!

ASC1951

Guru
Absinthe Minded said:
Supper at 7:30? That's amazing, I never have dinner until about 9 or 10 O'Clock!
Yikes. Not recommended for most people. You're best not eating for at least three hours before sleeping.

Noodley

ASC1951 said:
Yikes. Not recommended for most people. You're best not eating for at least three hours before sleeping.

That's not true. Nothing worng with eating at any time of the day/night - it depends on what one eats not when.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:
That's not true. Nothing worng with eating at any time of the day/night - it depends on what one eats not when.
Agreed.

BTFB
Supper seeems to be the answer here. I have to have something sweet to get me to sleep, depending on how hungry I am this may range from a cup of sweet tea, hot milk drink or monster bowl of cereal (not high fibre...Cornflakes is just peachy), Banana would be fine too.

OK, the science bit.
It's all about Tryptophan, an Amino Acid building block of proteins. Milk and Bananas contain high levels of Tryptophan which aid relaxation (or ...sleep), so milky drinks (Cocoa/Horlicks) cereal + Milk and Bananas all provide Tryptophan.
So, how does the sweet tea work? Well recent work suggest that the sudden sugar hit causes the body to release Tryptophan as part of the insulin response to the blood-sugar level...maybe its a natural calming response to the sugar rush hyperactivity! I know somebody who wakes in the middle of the night, has a biscuit and then falls back to sleep 'till morning.

I'm gonna have my sweet tea and then go to bed. G'Night.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well I just ate a whole easter egg and I am still awake and hungry...I suspect this may be psycolylojikal....I am still on these dam pills see...i need to ride more.

trio25

Über Member
I can't have chocolate in the house as I would just eat it all, nothing wrong with some every so now and again.

Top Bottom