Why are indicators not popular?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Something else that's occurred to me. What are the chances of getting the majority of cyclists to fit indicators when a worrying amount of cyclists don't even bother to use a headlamp or tail lamp?

classic33

Leg End Member
Has the law changed with regards the colour of the flashing lights that can be fitted to a pedal cycle.
I used to have a pair of motorcycle indicators fitted to one bike until informed that they were actually illegal. Thats over 20 years ago, so things may have changed.

With glove mounted systems, the light needs to be visible from the front as well as the rear. Try riding, wearing gloves with a small pebble in the palm & you'll get an idea of what it might feel like.
Bike mounted systems would require the same forwards & rearwards visibilty, however they can't be mounted on any part of the frame that may turn. So any system used cannot use the forks or handle bars as a mounting option.

As for getting them fitting I'm with tyred on this. When people can't be bothered fitting & using the lights they are legally required to, what cance have we of getting them to fit indicators.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Only the poster above seems to have taken account of the fact that, as for road markings, signage and traffic signals, there are established standards for vehicle lighting in relation to brightness, flash rate, distance apart and from the ground etc.

I can't see any government wanting to change the regulations to allow a few nutters to fit flashing lights to their gloves.

Next?

byegad

Legendary Member
A blinking light needs to be well off the centre line of a vehicle to be perceived as a signal flasher.
The light needs to be bright.
The battery needs to last well.
The whole system needs to weigh very little.

These things make designing an effective, light and cheap system and getting it to market very difficult,

On the whole sticking an arm out is good, cheap and clearly a signal.

byegad

Legendary Member
Only the poster above seems to have taken account of the fact that, as for road markings, signage and traffic signals, there are established standards for vehicle lighting in relation to brightness, flash rate, distance apart and from the ground etc.

I can't see any government wanting to change the regulations to allow a few nutters to fit flashing lights to their gloves.

Next?
Well C&U reg's apply to motor vehicles mostly. The ones for cycle are very few and there's nothing saying you can't fit yellow flashing lights to a glove or stick and fit it to your bike.

Dan B

Disengaged member
As far as I'm aware there are few or no regulations forbidding the use of any lights you care to use attached to your body. The regulations cover lights attached to vehicles not to their operators

(That said, I'm sure the use of flashing blue lights is still frowned on no matter where you attach them)

In your video, the cyclist has his hand out throughout the approach, and the right turn, without stopping.

I can't imagine coming to a halt, being stationary, and starting away again all whilst continuing to hold out your hand. If you (like I) would return the hand to the bars, particularly during the starting away again, your indication is cancelled, or, at the very least, no longer displayed away from the body.

On a left turn, which generally are tighter turns, I'd imagine even less time for the indication to be displayed.

Well done for the idea, but I can't help thinking that there really isn't much point - maybe like wearing 2 cycle helmets, for added protection..... :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Retro reflective material used in place of any form of actual lighting (on the hands) would stand a better chance of being seen than a small(single) LED light & uses the power of the lights from the other vehicles lights for it to be effective.

The number of drivers who look no further than where their own lights show the road can be suprising at times, especially on an unlit stretch of road. They will have grown up with street lighting & are unsure of what to do when faced with an unlit section of road.

Top Bottom