Why are indicators not popular?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

My Beemer has them too. But I thought they were dangerous - every time I switched them on they flashed on and off. Can't risk it if there's dodgy wiring in there.

I thought flashing lights were only legal on pedal cycles anyway...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another reason not to use bike mounted indicators (not gloves ) is that generally the lights are to close together and can easily be confused with normal bike lights.

classic33

Leg End Member
If fitted to gloves, then they are a duplication of effort: you would have to stick your hand out to use them which you would be doing anyway.

They would also add bulk and I can't envisage a simple solution.

If they operate automatically from some sort of sensor then you have the problem of them activating at the wrong time or not at all.

If operated by a switch you would need two mounted on either side of the handlebar (to operate the opposite indicator); or one mounted in each glove (perhaps by pressing the thumb and forefinger together) which brings us back to the problem of inopportune use.

With brakes and gears being hand-operated we already have plenty to think of.

Furthermore, gloves are a very personal choice so a whole range of gloves would need to produced or some sort of kit which could be added to an existing pair of gloves; either option would be prohibitively expensive for a relatively small market.

Something like these?
http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2006/11/glove_mounted_i.html

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
If you want your hand/arm seen at night, put reflective bands around your wrists.
Because you are moving they look as if they flash at times. But these require no battery or wiring & are, in my opinion,
a superior solution. I have actually used the reflective bands that equestrians fit to the horses hooves; available in different materials.

Patrick Gibson

Hi Guys,

I have produced an indicating system that uses an accelerometer combined with a tilt sensor to activate a flashing amber light on the side of the glove. It's a very inexpensive system which uses a program I wrote loaded up onto a microchip on the back of the glove. This program constantly reads outputs from the accelerometer and tilt sensor to determine whether the riders arm is in the correct position. This negates any false 'triggers' which would ultimately make the rider less safe, thus defeating the object of the design.

There are lots of statistics available from various sites which elude to the idea that an indicating system for cyclists would make a difference, not only saving lives but also getting more people to ride a bike by giving them a greater presence on the road at night.

There are a few products currently available but each one has flaws:

>> the signal can't be seen by traffic from all directions - very important as it's not just road users behind the rider but also in front and from the left and right)
>> the automatic signal is activated falsely - ie reaching for water bottle/waving at someone/scratching head!
>> bicycle mounted products - requires time and effort to fit to the bike/the signal itself isn't very far away from the front or rear light making it difficult to distinguish which direction the rider intends to turn/a lot of these are also 'button/switch' operated adding an extra task for the rider which, in the beginning at least, reduces the riders concentration on their environment.

The correct method to indicate a change of direction, in the UK and most other countries, when riding a bicycle is to extend the arm in the direction the rider wishes to turn. I know this seems obvious but this provides justification for the placement of the indicating signal and also means that a motion sensitive trigger, one that works well, is perfect for activating the signal.

I have tested the system with a local riding club and also less frequent riders with very positive feedback. One issue that did come back from testing was that users didn't trust that the signal had been activated and were looking down their arm to check it was flashing. This is obviously not safe. To overcome this I am currently adding a small vibrator which gives the rider tactile feedback without them having to check it.

The whole system could easily be produced, including rechargeable battery, for less than £6 and be built into gloves or in a module that can be attached to existing gloves.

I would be grateful for anyones thoughts/criticism at this stage as you all obviously have opinions on the topic. For a working demo of the system please see the link below:

CYCLE INDICATING SYSTEM

Thanks

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Patrick I would suggest that your device suffers from the same issues you mention of others. The light on the glove is so small it would not have full visability from all angles, the images displayed on the website showing the activation proceedure is similar to the motion required to get a drink imho

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
if your interested in flashing lights near your gloves, why not simply use led arm bands available from amazon, if rethinking how cyclists indicate movement you should review the entire issue imho. Taking your hand of the bars makes braking more difficault and bike control more challenging for some which causes difficaulty in completing manouvers safely.
Bolting lights on your hands is a solution which does not address the issues some face when changing direction by bike.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
If i decided that it was worth my while to purchase, id definitely want the module over the glove. I have various cheapy fingerless gloves, full finger gloves, motorcycle gloves and ski gloves depending on the cold. Some kind of stretchy lycra overglove rather than a strap might be good. Personally i think id probably prefer a switch between thumb and index finger than a gesture trigger.

In your video the bike has quite minimal lighting and from the side no lighting at all, presumably to make the indicator stand out more. My initial thought is to question how much it would stand out against my existing lights and other road users. It looks like its emitting less light to the camera than is being reflected off your bare shins by the car accross the road. Id also imagine most people likely to go for something like this would have substaintial bike lighting for it to compete against.

Davidc

Guru
All too much complication, weight and complexity.

At night I enhance my standard arm signals with reflective slap-wraps.

I've never had a problem being seen indicating, anywhere from central London to Exmoor, using my arms. I'd take a huge amount of persuading to part with money for any of the ideas presented.

Top Bottom