Why are loads of staff at work asking my advise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So why is it now that loads of staff at work that normally come in there cars, asking my advise about buying a bike?

Is it due to Bradley Wiggins winning the tour de France? No....

Is it due to Bradley winning gold at the Olympics. No .....

Is it because cycling is much more normal, popular and fashionable? No ..

So why so many staff want to get on a bike?

Well I work at a NHS trust and all staff for years got free parking.

Well not anymore. It's going to be around £240 this year and going to over £300 next April and then even higher after that.

It gets worse for them, anyone that lives within 1k will not be permitted to bring there car to work.

They are all saying that they will just park on the road. Well we have around 600 spaces for staff I believe. Do you think the council is going to be stupid enough to let all of these cars start parking outside people's houses that don't have a driveway. No. They will start a residents parking permit scheme and also start painting double yellow lines everywhere.

It like the end of the world is about to start. Forget about anything else this is the topic of choice at the moment.

I won't say I'm gloating, but .........

numbnuts

Legendary Member
what next, start charging for bike parking, well they have to make up the short fall

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It sounds obnoxious to many, but for most people who arent disabled, carrying lots of stuff to work or needing their car at work, driving under 1km is incredibly lazy. That said I know someone who when without a car will phone a taxi to avoid a pleasant 1.5km walk. :crazy:

sheddy

Legendary Member
They will park in the road. The residents will get angry. Letters will be written to the paper. The Council won't do anything.

what next, start charging for bike parking, well they have to make up the short fall

My Trust does!

I pay £2 per month for my locker:

P5240046-1.jpg

My Trust made it disciplinary, Contracts state at you will not park within 1 km of the Trust premises.

Local residents simply complain to the Trust who then takes action against the individual employee.

It really isn't a problem, and always amazes me how people actually do manage without driving in.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My Trust made it disciplinary, Contracts state at you will not park within 1 km of the Trust premises.

Local residents simply complain to the Trust who then takes action against the individual employee.

It really isn't a problem, and always amazes me how people actually do manage without driving in.
That's a very interesting solution. We are planning to move offices from one with parking for over 100 cars to one with three disabled and two visitors spaces.

One of the issues is whether any employer "has" to provide parking.

Arguably if you are expected to attend outside hours where public transport is available then perhaps there is a moral argument in terms of safety and expectations, but there is no requirement to do so

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Arguably if you are expected to attend outside hours where public transport is available then perhaps there is a moral argument in terms of safety and expectations, but there is no requirement to do so
Fascinating debate to be had on how providing parking is a benefit in kind in this day and age, when parking elsewhere usually costs, albeit a non-taxable benefit thus far, which those who choose not to drive to work don't benefit from.

Of course a great many employers, I suspect probably the vast majority, can't or don't provide parking for staff.

rvw

Guru

The question is not so much whether they are working at times when public transport doesn't operate, but whether transport is available when their shift starts/ends. Our lot (NHS trust in central London) have very little parking at quite high expense, so most of those who work shifts have no provision whatsoever.

Sadly, the cycle parking is rubbish - mostly insecure and insufficient.

...the cycle parking is rubbish - mostly insecure and insufficient.
My employer has crap provision. A few outdoor sheffield stands, some of them in out of the way places, dotted about several large car parks in a dodgy part of Manchester. I don't touch them. I have de facto approval to bring my bike into the changing room. I really don't want more people cycling to work and copying me. I might lose the use of the indoor bicycle parking!

Top Bottom