why are my hydraulic disk brakes so bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Shimano mineral oil lasts better than DOT fluid, but it'll still need replacing after so long. When you deglaze the pads (or just fit new ones - for what they cost why faff about?) you need to deglaze and then degrease the discs as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put all the bits in the dishwasher, there's nothing hotter or more caustic for effective degreasing. Not aluminium though as the surface will be pitted by the causticity.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

From 'Minor Problems' in The Rules.

Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. When other people (especially new members) fail to search and start new threads on old topics, don't scold them or make them feel unwelcome; support and guide them instead to make their experience of CycleChat a better one.

:okay: :smile: :bicycle:

OP
OP
Black Sheep
It appears that the calliper is pushing the rotor across slightly, but taking the spacer between rotor and hub out doesn't solve the issue, just moves it across the other way somehow!

D

Deleted member 26715

Do you need to add a spacer/washer not take one out?

CXRAndy

Guru
If you've, cleaned the rotors, changed pads and fluid, if its still poor braking performance. Look at the levers and hoses, given its sat unused for many years. It could be seals have become leaky

OP
OP
Black Sheep
The brakes had a service recently so I would assume them to be ok with regards leaks etc.

I've adjusted the front calliper and it's sat more centrally, cleaning the disk has got more power to the front,

The rear however, having cleaned it and given the pads a scuffing only cured it for part of the ride, it's back to being an audiable warning device, but does give more performance than it did so might go another round of cleaning on it.

D

Deleted member 26715

You don't use something like GT86 on your chain or parts do you, if you do it's important that you cover the disc to stop over spray getting on it & contaminating the disc & more importantly the pads, only real cure is new pads

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm afraid you're weeing in the breeze here. We can't assume that the person who worked on the brakes recently was competent or that they didn't make an error. If degreasing and deglazing the discs and new pads doesn't do it, then you're probably best off taking it to a competent spannerman (or woman).

That generation of Deore's could by troublesome. One of mine stopped working entirely for no reason, some kind of internal failure of the valving or seals in the master cylinder. People prattle on about the wonders of discs brakes, but seem to forget that when they do go south they can often be a real mare to sort, if indeed it's even possible to sort them at all (my Deore's could be stripped to that level so had to be binned).

Good luck.

Mark pallister

Best way to clean discs and pads is with a small blowtorch I find
use on both sides of disc and face of pad when it’s cooled ,light sand then spray with isopropyl alcohol

Top Bottom