Why are people so compliant to 'authority' figures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
So, you're at an airport and the alternatives are:

A) do as the authority figure tells you

B) end up sharing a bedroom with Bubba, and maybe even...

C) get shot if your run in with said authority is that outrageous.

I think it's easy to see why most people choose A.

May as well lock the thread now ;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I've never had a problem entering this country, and usually get straight in with little queuing.

Then again, whilst everyone else is climbing over each other to get off the plane and into the terminal, I remain seated till last.

What's the point of rushing when you just have to wait for baggage?

I then calmly get up, get my carry-on bag, exit the plane last (chatting to the crew usually) and get to passport control with none or very few people in front of me. I then take my usual place right at the end of the baggage carousel, and normally get my luggage within 5 mins.

As I never buy booze or cancer sticks, I have no worries about customs and walk straight out.

On the subject of the USA/Isreal - as long as I have a hole in my lower back, I won't be gracing their country with my presence, so no worries about them questioning me.

Ciao

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I had a bit of a set to with a French border guard about having to show him my passport to leave France for England - "What about the free movement of persons in the EU?", "It's you English that's the problem, it's all your fault, you insist on passports!" Anyway I let him off in the end, I'd got the family there, he was getting arsey and he had a gun.

Typhon

I've never had a problem entering this country, and usually get straight in with little queuing.

Then again, whilst everyone else is climbing over each other to get off the plane and into the terminal, I remain seated till last.

What's the point of rushing when you just have to wait for baggage?

I then calmly get up, get my carry-on bag, exit the plane last (chatting to the crew usually) and get to passport control with none or very few people in front of me. I then take my usual place right at the end of the baggage carousel, and normally get my luggage within 5 mins.

As I never buy booze or cancer sticks, I have no worries about customs and walk straight out.

I'm exactly the same. I take a leisurely stroll out once the queues have died down and just pretty much walk straight though passport control.

Although the last time I flew it did take them 55 minutes to get our luggage. I'm not really sure what took so long..

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
[QUOTE 2071230, member: 1314"]Blah, blah, blah............. The only question they did not ask of me during these visits was my favourite sexual position.[/quote]

That's a completely different thread. :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Canada customs... now they are bad... very bad.
Horrible people to deal with.

I signed up for one of those iris passports so use the machines when travelling. Queue for the machines is usually negligible.. however they don't always seem to work properly.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2071230, member: 1314"]I always got the quizzical each time I went to Dublin, as well, by immigration, going by either flight or night-boat.[/quote]

One time flying out of Dublin I'd rather foolishly put my passport into my suitcase and had already checked it on, it was only when the security guard asked me for it I realised what I had done and had to explain my predicament, he just said "aaahh f*ck it, it'll be alright, on you go"

Norm

I had a bit of a set to with a French border guard about having to show him my passport to leave France for England - "What about the free movement of persons in the EU?", "It's you English that's the problem, it's all your fault, you insist on passports!" Anyway I let him off in the end, I'd got the family there, he was getting arsey and he had a gun.
Unfortunately for you, he was right. Unlike France, the UK hasn't signed up to Shengen, so you still need a passport to enter.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Unfortunately for you, he was right. Unlike France, the UK hasn't signed up to Shengen, so you still need a passport to enter.

I wasn't entering the UK, I was leaving France.

Norm

:rolleyes:

Score 1 for pedantry if it makes you feel better. He was still right that the 'English' are the problem as the 'English' are the ones who decided not to allow free movement and insist on passports.

postman

Legendary Member
Oh and do not laugh.I was having a conversation with my daughter about the time she got taken to one side for having a carton of orange in her bag.It had been part of her breakfast.I was laughing at the trouble it caused.
In Orlando i was approached by security,me bald,slow,62,i was told it was no laughing matter,and he was serious.

Typhon

I haven't been to the states since before 9/11. It certainly seems like an unattractive proposition now. It's a shame as it's such a vast varied country with so many beautiful sights to see, of which I have seen not enough. But I don't really fancy being treated like a criminal.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've been to the US many times, before and after 9/11 and I can't say that I've ever been treated like a criminal at all. I've always enjoyed my time there and met lots of really nice people and been to some great places.

Top Bottom