Why are people so compliant to 'authority' figures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I've been to the US many times, before and after 9/11 and I can't say that I've ever been treated like a criminal at all. I've always enjoyed my time there and met lots of really nice people and been to some great places.

I don't have a bad word to say about Americans, they are a friendly hospitable people and I thoroughly enjoyed the holidays I had before 9/11. It's just the stories about airport security that put me off.

A good example of that is Andrew Culture's post about having to give a thorough itinerary of your stay. That's not a holiday for me. I like my freedom and to be able to do things on a whim. I know they won't check up on what you're actually doing, but it's the principal of the thing.

Typhon

Flew into LA in Feb and was done and dusted in 5min. Everyone seemed pretty polite and friendly.

Well I suppose every one has their own experience of travelling. The reason this thread was created was because of delays in passport control on returning to the UK, which I have personally never experienced.

I suppose it just goes to show the worth of anecdotal evidence.

U

User169

Well I suppose every one has their own experience of travelling. The reason this thread was created was because of delays in passport control on returning to the UK, which I have personally never experienced.

I suppose it just goes to show the worth of anecdotal evidence.

I've not experienced it at airports, although getting off the ferry at harwich last time i drove to the uk seemed to take forever.

G2EWS

What relevance does stopping people at the point of entry have for anti-terrorism? And why only at international airports? It wouldn't take much of a mastermind to avoid LHR or LGW and head for Eastleigh or Bournemouth, or even the Eurostar.

A lot, but little point trying to explain!

Regards

Chris

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I haven't been to the states since before 9/11. It certainly seems like an unattractive proposition now. It's a shame as it's such a vast varied country with so many beautiful sights to see, of which I have seen not enough. But I don't really fancy being treated like a criminal.

I remember reading about a bunch of British guys who were going to row from New York to the UK. So, they arrived at JFK with single tickets and then had to spend quite a long time trying to convince customs that they DIDN'T want to fly back, despite all the documentation they had and people who the authorities could contact to confirm the story.

G2EWS

How remarkably condescending.

Possibly, but not meant that way. No point as you would turn it into an argument and I am explaining I don't have the time nor patience to explain something to you that you would not accept!

Now if you want to sit round a camp fire and have a debate face to face, I'm your man!

Regards

Chris

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've been to the US many times, before and after 9/11 and I can't say that I've ever been treated like a criminal at all. I've always enjoyed my time there and met lots of really nice people and been to some great places.
...and they waived the passort requirement as you were being extradited!!!!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
it wasn't the reading of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Think-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349161403&sr=1-1 while on holiday that led me to my annoyance at yesterday morning's shenanigins; I've always thought the dreadful inconvenience imposed on us and that we have to pay for was either A) a minor victory for the terrorists who'd caused this to be inflicted upon the decent people or B) an increase in the pressure of the lederene swine's jackboot on the neck of people because they were too chicken to question these tactics. Even so, anyone actually defending the right of the 'leaders' to remove your rights would do themselves some good to read it. It's a cracker!

G2EWS

@g2ews Try me, you might be surprised.

Hi Norm,

I am a bit knowledgeable when it comes to forums and have left a lot of them behind. As mentioned elsewhere I took a lot of time choosing this one.

I do like Cyclechat very much and find the help and information to be freely given and very useful. Indeed without it, I would not be where I am in my very short cycling career.

But one thing I have noticed here is that arguments happen very quickly. People seem to get very angry and abusive too hastily. This is usually the forte of forum newbies as they don't understand that the written word is not the same as the spoken word. I don't like this and find it foolish. It also wastes time and effort. You can always see the main instigators who end up repeating themselves and being offensive to the person whom they are trying to get a point over. Of course the most important thing is they are both correct! Of course they are, otherwise they would not be arguing the point!

However, I believe, that we need to be open minded to at least listen to others opinions. You and I are a similar age and perhaps we have been around the block a few times! This 'experience' has taught me that others opinions are very important and often worth listening to. It is amazing what you can learn from those who don't appear to have anything to give! I learnt a lot about detailing (serious cleaning and polishing) a vehicle by a lad on a 'detailing forum' called 'the 13 year old detailer' and he was 13! He used to cycle to clean customers Ferraris and Bentleys etc.

In my business I have learnt off young people who have new ideas to give, some of which help with the running of the company.

All of this to explain that time is of the essence and the subject already forgotten, so time to move on!

Best regards

Chris

Norm

@G2EWS I know what you mean, but I do read and learn from the comments of others and I've often wondered, in travels and queues at passport / immigration controls, why there is more of an anti-terrorism aspect cited at the entrance desks to the country at major airports which just doesn't happen elsewhere. Flights are a more visible target but, by that stage, you're on the ground...

Sorry, I'm not meaning to start the argument without you. I was just hoping for enlightenment and frustrated at being so close to an answer. Maybe over a beer / coffee sometime. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom