Why are Single Speed Wheels so Expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleman

The cheapest I could find were £48.00 plus £7.95 postage for one wheel 700cc on amazon.

offline it would be £61.00

I dont know much about the performance of these wheels. Is a single speed bike faster than a bike with 27 gears?

The price seems exorbitant. If anyone could shed a light I would be grateful

Ive never had a single speed or fixie but I believe if you get them set up right (gearwise) they are faster, being a bit lighter and you don't lose the fraction of seconds shifting. However, if they are not apt for the particular terrain ss/fixies are inefficient and therefore slower. Also being simpler in theory ss/fixie wheels will be more robust. I guess however, the price like most things is driven by demand and there's a fun and cool element for some folk which makes them popular, hence shops can charge according to that demand.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I reckon it's because all of the singlespeed wheels are hand built. They don't sell enough to be worth setting up the automatic wheelbuilding machines that are used for cheap wheels.

D

Deleted member 1258

The cheapest I could find were £48.00 plus £7.95 postage for one wheel 700cc on amazon.

offline it would be £61.00

I dont know much about the performance of these wheels. Is a single speed bike faster than a bike with 27 gears?

The price seems exorbitant. If anyone could shed a light I would be grateful

I would call a £48 wheel a cheap wheel. I would expect to pay around this price, £167,
http://www.velomax.biz/content/vm-displaydetail.php?product_id=626
For a pair of track wheels, £70-£80 for a single wheel

OP
OP
C

cycleman

Thanks for all the reply's guy's. andrew_s's reply seems to answer my question for me. I wasn't expecting them to be half the price, maybe £10 cheaper at £40

Zoiders

I reckon it's because all of the singlespeed wheels are hand built. They don't sell enough to be worth setting up the automatic wheelbuilding machines that are used for cheap wheels.
Dont be silly, they sell thousands of the things these days.

Machine built wheels with no dish are extremely easy to manufacture, hence the glut of them on ebay at the moment.

Top Bottom