Why are so many of the cyclists killed in London women?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I really believe that men are more territorial than women and are just more aware of what's in their road space.

vickster

Legendary Member
Some male London commuters certainly don't adhere to that principle as they barge past others :angry:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think riding in heavy traffic you need a certain level of assertiveness bordering on aggression to stay safe.

On average males are more assertive/aggressive than females.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've asked this question myself before and have come to my own conclusion.

Ego. Or perhaps politeness.

Unfortunately I suspect this is a place where male ego actually works to a males benefit.

Women are generally very compliant to rules and respect both boundary's and protocols in life.

Men seemed to be brought up NOT to conform, to break rules and show that they can make their own ...as if non conformity is a mark of manliness.

Transfer that onto the road and women may stick to the "correct" position on the road even if it is hazardous..where as a man wont worry about darting about and ignoring conformity.

An everyday example...on a country road i will take the adverse bend to see right around the corner, placing my car on the wrong side of a white line to do so. I know a few lady drivers who will never do this and are constantly on the brakes as oncoming cars "surprise"them when they appear around a bend.

I suspect the desire not to look like a flash git or a show off...in other words to ride politely may be a cause

Also, i think men are brought up to see driving as manly skill and so tend to drive more than women (my wife's dislikes driving anywhere she doesn't have to and would never just go for a drive for fun) as a result more men are likely to have experience of driving in town and translate that road knowledge to the bike. I see a lot more men driving in town than women.

Last edited:

cd365

Guru
I did Statistical mathematics many years ago

KneesUp

Guru
On average they do barely half the miles, drive smaller cars, less likely to speed. Car park scrapes are a lot cheaper for an insurer than a car nose first in a ditch.
The premiums take into account the first two criteria, apparently.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which begs another question. Why?

(But perhaps it gives clues to the work environment and expectations placed on the drivers, which, in turn, might lead to a different angle for looking at the issue.)
I guess for the same reason that most trucks and vans are driven by men and most workers on building sites and in manual trades are men...historical gender differences in the workforce, rather than expectations from business owners.

Or is it that a certain type of man drives tipper and skip trucks...low intelligent neanderthals who don't give a flying f*** about anyone else rather than feeling under pressure due to targets placed upon them by the evil capitalist employers?

Top Bottom