Why are so many of the cyclists killed in London women?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Holding up any stats produced by the TRL is worrying, after they got caught crash testing a motorbike with the engine removed. This was presumably because it was cheap, but considering The motor was a load bearing member on that model it kind of entirely negated the experiment.
Glenn forger cites a report about an analysis by TRL. In that case, they weren't doing any experiment. At first glance, it seems to be OK, but if you've spotted flaws, please describe them. Lots of data is published, so other analyses should be possible.

I share your scepticism of TRL, but don't see an obvious error this time. In God we trust: all others must bring data.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's why you're supposed to stop behind the first vehicle in the queue, but few do.
That doesn't help if you are in the gutter, in fact it makes it worse if you are slow and in the gutter as then all the traffic behind continues to try to overtake you. I watch this manoeuvre daily as I wait to turn right at a junction where most cyclists are going straight on and a lot of cars are turning left. So far I haven't witnessed an accident but I've seen lots of close calls.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I ride with a group of women and when on a local busy A road I am the only one who rides on the actual road rather than on the left of the white line. I don't ride in the gutter as I just don't feel safe there. I stake my claim on the road as I am entitled to. By the same token I treat myself as a car. I don't filter down the side of standing traffic, I wait in line. I believe that if I treat myself as taking the space of a car then hopefully others will do the same. Realistically this doesn't always happen but I really am quite territorial about my road space!
When I ride with the girls, if I'm in front, on a narrowing of the road/pinch point and a car comes up, all start shouting immediately "car behind, car behind" like we are supposed to squash ourselves against the kerb or something.
I always shout back "well, car has to wait!" and explain why as per bikability rules, but the very next time, again "car behind, car behind".

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I ride with the girls, if I'm in front, on a narrowing of the road/pinch point and a car comes up, all start shouting immediately "car behind, car behind" like we are supposed to squash ourselves against the kerb or something.
I always shout back "well, car has to wait!" and explain why as per bikability rules, but the very next time, again "car behind, car behind".

My mixed group does that.

I suppose warning those in front of an upcoming hazard is OK, but it can come over as: "Car coming, get out of the way."

Some riders - of both genders - are very anxious of anything overtaking from behind.

So am I to a degree, but I try not to let the drivers see it.

Pat "5mph"

So overtake the stationary car and plonk myself infront of it? Or have I misunderstood what you meant? If that is what you mean they would probably run me over on purpose :laugh:
Statistics .... it's a fact :whistle: male cyclists are more assertive in traffic ^_^
I did this only once, because the driver in front close passed me to get there, I was in a rebellious mood :biggrin: He wasn't too pleased!

Pat "5mph"

It might be. Alternatively it might be a lazy stereotype.
It was tongue in cheek actually.
A quick Google unearths this papirus which is inconclusive, long winded and boring, apart from a wee snippet:
Men may also feel less inclined to ‘show off’ by taking risks
when they already have a partner because the potential gains (e.g., attracting a
partner when you already have one) from risk taking may not be as high

Sara_H

Guru
I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to add this.

My ex husband and my current OH are both cyclists who commute to work as I do, on Similar routes at similar times of the day.

Speaking to them both its clear that although they obviously experience some of the grief that we all experience, neither of them experience as much abuse as I do.

I know there's a theory that female cyclists aren't as assertive and that's why they're more likely to be killed or seriously injured, but as an experienced, assertive rider I do wonder if it's as much to do with how drivers behave more badly around women riders than anything else.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Statistics .... it's a fact :whistle: male cyclists are more assertive in traffic ^_^
I did this only once, because the driver in front close passed me to get there, I was in a rebellious mood :biggrin: He wasn't too pleased!
I do it all the time especially if they overtook me a silly distance from the traffic lights (I'm often in rebellious mood when cycling), even better if they are stuck at the back of the queue. I've been known to set off really slowly as well....:biggrin:

Top Bottom