Why are the elderly so gullible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
surely all they'd need is your account number and sort code... apart from make a deposit, what else can be done with that information?
Name & address of the bank where the account was opened. From there, get the persons name & address.

What could go wrong.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 5078546, member: 43827"]There are many elderly people who find technology and financial details confusing. Nothing to do with male/female, worker/housewife, just age.

I have recently often been called to help my uncle, aged 91, when he has become confused with his bills, insurance policies, driving licence renewal (luckily recently rescinded), and technology problems with his new TV and Sky box. He was a senior engineering manager for a large construction company and still did freelance work until he was 80. In the past year or two he has become a lot less confident and it is so sad seeing this deterioration in his faculties.

My father died last year aged 89 and for the last year of his life I had Power of Attorney over his affairs, at his request, as it took a lot of hassle off him.

I was never worried about him being scammed, especially when I heard his stock response to what he thought were scammers......."F*** Off and don't waste my time". Could be a bit embarrassing if someone he knew phoned him and was a bit slow opening the conversation, as I found out a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

I know what you’re saying, but having worked in the field for decades my opinion is that it’s just fraud. Tricksters and scammers. The same scams, sometimes with a different medium, but the same confidence tricks either face to face, on the phone or over email and instant messaging.

I don’t think technology is the root.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My mother has become increasing susceptible to buying stuff from telemarketers, in her case it seems to be related to dementia- the first signs I noticed were she was buying rather expensive herbal remedies over the phone (really uncharacteristic), and multiple overpriced insurances for the same lot of appliances- she spend a good few thousand over a couple of years.

She was getting a lot of calls because I think she often sent back those mail shots about unclaimed prizes etc. and got added to a whole load of 'suckers lists'. I now have power of attorney and have started contacting some of the companies I know about to get her added to 'do not call' lists, in some of the more recent cases I've had the bank stop payments.

I had the bank disable her card for telephone purchases (I don't know if all banks can do this but Barclays were helpful), also have a Truecall call blocker on the way just so she doesn't get disturbed all the time by calls.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My mother has become increasing susceptible to buying stuff from telemarketers, in her case it seems to be related to dementia- the first signs I noticed were she was buying rather expensive herbal remedies over the phone (really uncharacteristic), and multiple overpriced insurances for the same lot of appliances- she spend a good few thousand over a couple of years.

She was getting a lot of calls because I think she often sent back those mail shots about unclaimed prizes etc. and got added to a whole load of 'suckers lists'. I now have power of attorney and have started contacting some of the companies I know about to get her added to 'do not call' lists, in some of the more recent cases I've had the bank stop payments.

I had the bank disable her card for telephone purchases (I don't know if all banks can do this but Barclays were helpful), also have a Truecall call blocker on the way just so she doesn't get disturbed all the time by calls.
You can get a card 'blocked' so any transaction where you are not presently there with your card (and PIN) is refused, I did it after someone 'cloned' my card (this is with Lloyds)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Name & address of the bank where the account was opened. From there, get the persons name & address.

What could go wrong.

Why would the bank divulge the account holders name and address, even to a person who could quote the Sort Code, Account Number.

If my bank did that, I would be changing banks, pronto!

Having said that, I do agree, the less information you divulge, the better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Why would the bank divulge the account holders name and address, even to a person who could quote the Sort Code, Account Number.

If my bank did that, I would be changing banks, pronto!

Having said that, I do agree, the less information you divulge, the better.

Don't need to. Many people's home branch is near to where they live. So it narrows down the search area to find a matching address using the online directories. That doesn't work if you are with a purely online bank.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I haven't read all through this thread (so please forgive if already mentioned) but unfortunately once scammed, people find themselves on a hotlist as scammers sell on to other scammers your details etc.

In your position I would try to reinforce the danger message & get parents to hang up at the slightest hint of personal details.

One of the first thing that sprung to mind not mentioned in your 1>3 is that older people are more likely to be overly polite & not want to appear rude by not complying with requests.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't need to. Many people's home branch is near to where they live. So it narrows down the search area to find a matching address using the online directories. That doesn't work if you are with a purely online bank.
I've an account in a branch at Skipton, which isn't exactly local.

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't read all through this thread (so please forgive if already mentioned) but unfortunately once scammed, people find themselves on a hotlist as scammers sell on to other scammers your details etc.

In your position I would try to reinforce the danger message & get parents to hang up at the slightest hint of personal details.

One of the first thing that sprung to mind not mentioned in your 1>3 is that older people are more likely to be overly polite & not want to appear rude by not complying with requests.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I'd agree on the anything personal part. The bank calls me, I refuse to speak over the phone about accounts, personal details, saying I'll go into the branch as soon as possible. Not always welcome, but it's the only way I'll do it.

Telephone banking and the like has removed the face to face contact. It tends to be the younger ones who have trouble dealing with such problems in person.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He's not that old, in the scope of this thread at least, either.
A friend of mine fell for one of the telephone 'computer support' scams when she was aged 50!

Someone rang saying that he was working on behalf of Microsoft. They had (somehow! :whistle:) discovered a serious problem with her computer which they needed to fix for her. If she enabled remote access, they could easily repair the problem. So she turned the control of the PC over to him! Oh dear (surprise, surprise!), the problem was more serious than it had seemed at first so it would cost her a £50 support fee to put it right. She went and got her bank details and was about to read them out when she finally started to smell a rat ... She put the phone down and discovered that the man had changed her Windows login password and encrypted her files! She had to pay a local computer shop to reinstall Windows and she lost her files (which had not been backed up).

I told her that it was the equivalent of trusting a complete stranger who walked up to her in the street and asked for her front door key so he could let himself into her house to repair her television. Why would she trust a random stranger on the telephone any more than a random stranger down at her local shops?

classic33

Leg End Member
A friend of mine fell for one of the telephone 'computer support' scams when she was aged 50!

Someone rang saying that he was working on behalf of Microsoft. They had (somehow! :whistle:) discovered a serious problem with her computer which they needed to fix for her. If she enabled remote access, they could easily repair the problem. So she turned the control of the PC over to him! Oh dear (surprise, surprise!), the problem was more serious than it had seemed at first so it would cost her a £50 support fee to put it right. She went and got her bank details and was about to read them out when she finally started to smell a rat ... She put the phone down and discovered that the man had changed her Windows login password and encrypted her files! She had to pay a local computer shop to reinstall Windows and she lost her files (which had not been backed up).

I told her that it was the equivalent of trusting a complete stranger who walked up to her in the street and asked for her front door key so he could let himself into her house to repair her television. Why would she trust a random stranger on the telephone any more than a random stranger down at her local shops?
The like is for that last part.

Top Bottom