why are the local bike shops closing down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Overheads are huge for shops, most cyclists I know expect to pay say £25 an hours which is not enough to run a shop on.

Yep - which is why guys provide servicing from their garage with very limited overheads or mobile repair at customer premises - surely this is the sustainable business model

screenman

Legendary Member
Yep - which is why guys provide servicing from their garage with very limited overheads or mobile repair at customer premises - surely this is the sustainable business model

It is I agree the way, unfortunately it often ends up a bit of the black economy, something that as the country goes forward we do not need.

Landsurfer

Veteran
My local bike shop trued up a wheel, fitted a new derailuer, gear cable and wheel bearing for £22 the other day, far easier than doing it myself. When you find a good one, you got to stick with it.
Mine would have charged treble that just for the parts never mind the labour ...

Last edited:
A well known local bike shop not too far away from here was asked to price replacing a spoke in a Mavic wheel.

They quoted £75 for the spoke. They told customer that they had to buy the full set for a wheel, but he would be given the remaining spokes for future use!

They then quoted £55 for labour, because, they said, all spokes would have to be fully loosened and re tensioned. Claimed it was more than half a days work.

My maths makes that £130. Phew!

Guy went to the next town and got his wheel respoked and trued for£15.

There's making money out of the present cycling mania, and there's deliberately fleecing people.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a builder mate like that when he doesn't want a job, he prices it so high that if they are daft enough to take it he'll do the job to to get the profit.

Yup. Maybe that's what they were doing.
Not good for their reputation when the cyclist wasn't a lockdown newbie, but a regular guy and member of the local club.

johnblack

Über Member
At that kind of pricing, although great for you, he can't stay in business for long.
To be clear, I paid for the deraileur, he fitted it, but did supply cable and wheel bearing, wouldn't have taken him long, but you're right there isn't much money in it. Mind you he has made a mint on selling bikes over the last few months, shop is almost empty, people were just buying up everything during lockdown, not worried about size or sex, just taking whatever he could get.

A well known local bike shop not too far away from here was asked to price replacing a spoke in a Mavic wheel.

They quoted £75 for the spoke. They told customer that they had to buy the full set for a wheel, but he would be given the remaining spokes for future use!

They then quoted £55 for labour, because, they said, all spokes would have to be fully loosened and re tensioned. Claimed it was more than half a days work.

My maths makes that £130. Phew!

Guy went to the next town and got his wheel respoked and trued for£15.

There's making money out of the present cycling mania, and there's deliberately fleecing people.

During a ride last month I popped a spoke and so dropped by the LBS I've been using for 17 years to get it fixed. One of the mechanics took the wheel, realized the spoke was repairable rather than requiring replacement, fix it, straighten the wheel and then handed it back to me. About 15 minutes. He didn't charge me. I left a fiver in the beer jar.

johnblack

Über Member
Also everybody says learn how to fix everything yourself to save money. Might come a time when you need a favor from an LBS.
Absolutely, I could've done the job I put in the LBS, but rather than me having to do it after work or wait to the weekend, I had it back in a day, he's also looking out for some parts I want for various upgrades.

D

Deleted member 26715

Does he rip off elderly people in that way? :headshake:
Nope those he tells them what he would have charged & that he doesn't want to do it, he's 65 himself so is very choosy what he does these days.

Top Bottom