Why are there so many newspaper cycle helmet polls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
So this week, there have been three newspaper online polls on whether helmet wearing should be made compulsory. Is there anything going on?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
probably.... a poll of the misguided and ignorant is all that's needed to push a policy through.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
along with a centre spread in The Sun today written with 'I'm a paramedic so know better than you' dad of a son in a coma having been hit by a van whilst cycling helmetless.

yes a very subjective piece for those involved and in a what is hardly a bastion of journalistic integrity but a more one sided collection of words on helmets would be hard to find.

Regardless of pros and cons of helmets (I'm not getting into that conversation)....

It is impossible to make helmets compulsory as bikes aren't registered and we don't have to carry I.D. cards so how does a policeman know if you are giving false details if he stops you for not wearing one?

Chris Norton

You can ride a bike on the pavement next to a policeman and you don't even get stopped here. Helmets would never get stopped. I never really got what happened in the incident.

along with a centre spread in The Sun today written with 'I'm a paramedic so know better than you' dad of a son in a coma having been hit by a van whilst cycling helmetless.

yes a very subjective piece for those involved and in a what is hardly a bastion of journalistic integrity but a more one sided collection of words on helmets would be hard to find.

Actually the article in the Sun made some sense!

They highlighted a number of problems including HGVs, in their article.

Then the and "Sun View" was that helmets were NOT the best answer,

With cycling on the rise in Britain, we need to urgently improve safety for cyclists

Wearing a helmet can reduce the chance of serious head injury in an accident- every rider should wear one.

But making helmets compulsory is not necessarily the best solution

We need more cycle lanes. We need to improve training for motorists AND cyclists, and haulage firms should equip lorries with mirrors and sensors

2614011 said:
What do they do when practicing stop and search?

Stop and search is to find concealed weapons or drugs..... if either are found the person is arrested and taken to the station and identity confirmed under arrest/caution are they going to take everyone not wearing a helmet down to the station under arrest? Tabloids would have a field day "14 year old arrested and held for 10 hours for not wearing helmet" it would have to on the spot fines and you could not enforce them

2614678 said:
I meant with regard to the stablishing the person's identity.

That's what I meant. If a person is stopped and searched gives a false name and nothing is found on the person, then the police wont be bothered in finding out if false details have been given, if a person has illegal items on them then they will be detained at the station whilst details are checked out if no actual photo I.D can be given in the street

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Regardless of pros and cons of helmets (I'm not getting into that conversation)....

It is impossible to make helmets compulsory as bikes aren't registered and we don't have to carry I.D. cards so how does a policeman know if you are giving false details if he stops you for not wearing one?

can the mods remove this post before the powers that be read it and mistake it for advice :thumbsup:

can the mods remove this post before the powers that be read it and mistake it for advice :thumbsup:

If I was suggesting that the government introduce these measures.... I would have also mentioned compulsory third party insurance to protect poor innocent car drivers against cyclists who don't pay road tax :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom