Why are there so many newspaper cycle helmet polls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I pretty much always wear one (except on the 2-minute cycle to my local shop).

However I don't think anyone should be forced to really. At the end of the day, the only person who may be at risk by not wearing one, is oneself. If it doesn't affect others, then who is any politician to make rules about it. Adults must be allowed to make their own informed choices.

That said, I really think kids ought to have to wear them, until they're old enough to make up their own mind about it at any rate.

Yebbut, given there appears to be no solid evidence of reduced risk through wearing one (eg Australian experience), why do you think kids should have to wear them? Be just as logical to ban kids from wearing them?

Or is it because "it's obvious innit?"

For the record, I used to wear one and thought people who didn't were stupid - but changed my view after looking into it.

Mile195

Veteran
Yebbut, given there appears to be no solid evidence of reduced risk through wearing one (eg Australian experience), why do you think kids should have to wear them? Be just as logical to ban kids from wearing them?

Or is it because "it's obvious innit?"

For the record, I used to wear one and thought people who didn't were stupid - but changed my view after looking into it.

While the evidence doesn't confirm for definite that they help in certain accidents, I'm pretty sure there are no cases where someone's injuries have been WORSE for wearing a helmet. On that basis, it's probably sensible to put children in them. It's kind of like making kids eat all of their vegetables. There's no proof that an additional carrot or two will make them live longer, be healthier, develop better, but it certainly doesn't do them any harm so you may as well do it anyway. And once that child grows up, it's then their choice whether or not they ever eat carrots again.

Perhaps a weak analogy, but the best I can think of just at the moment.

And as well as that, the reasons most adults give for not wanting to wear them tend to be for more practical reasons that don't really apply so much to children. Or at least, this is the impression that I get.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
While the evidence doesn't confirm for definite that they help in certain accidents, I'm pretty sure there are no cases where someone's injuries have been WORSE for wearing a helmet. On that basis, it's probably sensible to put children in them. It's kind of like making kids eat all of their vegetables. There's no proof that an additional carrot or two will make them live longer, be healthier, develop better, but it certainly doesn't do them any harm so you may as well do it anyway. And once that child grows up, it's then their choice whether or not they ever eat carrots again.

Perhaps a weak analogy, but the best I can think of just at the moment.

And as well as that, the reasons most adults give for not wanting to wear them tend to be for more practical reasons that don't really apply so much to children. Or at least, this is the impression that I get.

You have slightly missed the point. If helmet wearing doesn't seem to reduce head injuries overall, which it doesn't if the Austrialian numbers are anything to go by, you can't logically claim they are of benefit - "because they are bound to help in some cases". If that were true, then they must make things worse in other cases else they would help overll - wouldn't they, or have I missed something?

I can think of a number of reasons why they might make some injuries worse, but this would be speculation - but might include:
1 risk compensation - a well document effect whereby people take more risks if they feel safer. It is cerainly plausible that cyclists do this.
2 risk compensation by drivers - some recent research indiciated drivers pass closer if cyclist wearing a helmet. It's certainly plausible, and at first cut, research supported this - or at least suggested there's something in it.

3 makes your head bigger - therefore you will hit your head more oftent - this is simple geometry so can't really be argued against. Turns a near miss into a hit.

4 rotational injuries. The argument goes extra leverage of the hat, and / or extra weight n your head increases the risk of neck injuries and / or brain injuries caused by rotation. Dunno, but not implausible.

5 slight extra weight up high increases stopping distance and over the handlebars risk - not by much, granted, but if helmets not helping much, wont take much to cancel out.

Finally, not a reason for not wearing one, but no one seriously suggests pedestrian helments, but apparently being a pedestrian is similar risk to cycling - so why not pedestrian helmets - fair enough to advocate both, but just cycling - isn't that basically silly, or at least inconsistant.

Mile195

Veteran
You have slightly missed the point. If helmet wearing doesn't seem to reduce head injuries overall, which it doesn't if the Austrialian numbers are anything to go by, you can't logically claim they are of benefit - "because they are bound to help in some cases". If that were true, then they must make things worse in other cases else they would help overll - wouldn't they, or have I missed something?

I can think of a number of reasons why they might make some injuries worse, but this would be speculation - but might include:
1 risk compensation - a well document effect whereby people take more risks if they feel safer. It is cerainly plausible that cyclists do this.
2 risk compensation by drivers - some recent research indiciated drivers pass closer if cyclist wearing a helmet. It's certainly plausible, and at first cut, research supported this - or at least suggested there's something in it.

3 makes your head bigger - therefore you will hit your head more oftent - this is simple geometry so can't really be argued against. Turns a near miss into a hit.

4 rotational injuries. The argument goes extra leverage of the hat, and / or extra weight n your head increases the risk of neck injuries and / or brain injuries caused by rotation. Dunno, but not implausible.

5 slight extra weight up high increases stopping distance and over the handlebars risk - not by much, granted, but if helmets not helping much, wont take much to cancel out.

Finally, not a reason for not wearing one, but no one seriously suggests pedestrian helments, but apparently being a pedestrian is similar risk to cycling - so why not pedestrian helmets - fair enough to advocate both, but just cycling - isn't that basically silly, or at least inconsistant.

All very true and balanced arguments.

So there we have it. We're kind of back to square one implying that the law really should just be left alone. It depends on the person, and where children are concerned, on the parents. I think that's basically the conclusion that many helmet debate threads come to anyway.

I will continue to use mine either way. Even if it does nothing for my safety, I can vouch entirely for the fact that it keeps my head warmer in the winter, and the sun out of my eyes in the summer. And as an added bonus, it makes an incredibly handy shopping basket when stopping to buy sandwiches mid-ride...

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm pretty sure there are no cases where someone's injuries have been WORSE for wearing a helmet. On that basis, it's probably sensible to put children in them.
Thing is, you could make the same argument about knee pads. Or fur coats[*]. If it saves just one life ...

[*] Fake fur, obviously

Mile195

Veteran
Fair enough. It still makes a great shopping basket though, and I encourage any scientific study to try and prove otherwise! :smile:

Mile195

Veteran
2619972 said:
Especially if you are on a tight budget and use it to force you only to buy small quantities of stuff.
...And you don't want to buy Kit-Kat's. Annoyingly, they slip through the holes. Kit-Kat's are bad for you anyway (I feel another debate coming on!..)

background.jpg

I won't give in to pressure to wear a helmet, because there's no need for them.

And moreover, I want stricter enforcement of the law on careless/dangerous driving when incidents involve vulnerable road users

Controversy!

No helmets AND wearing headphones!

On that basis, it's probably sensible to put children in them.

Which is why the Thudguard should aslo be compulsory for kids

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Laura Trott on cycling in London and helmet wearing http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-trotts-attack-on-rogue-cyclists-8791153.html

Trott said wearing a helmet was drummed into her at a young age by her parents, despite complaints that it was “uncool”.
In 2010 her sister, Emma, 23, broke her collarbone and suffered concussion so bad that she “barely even knew who she was” when a car hit five British riders in Belgium.
Trott believes that Emma’s life was saved by the helmet she wore. She said: “When I was 11 I didn’t want to look uncool but my parents wouldn’t let me out unless I was wearing it.
“I think it should be a legal requirement to wear a helmet. So many lives have been saved by them and it saved my sister’s life. She got hit by a car and cut her head open.
“When Emma called from hospital she barely even knew who she was, so if she wasn’t wearing a helmet now she wouldn’t be here today.
“For me, putting my helmet on now is a habit and I’ll wear it even if I’m going to the shop for a pint of milk.”

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I feel for Laura, I really do.

She feels the need to wear a pudding bowl on her head to ride to the shop for a pint of milk - I felt no need whatsoever to wear one riding 1400 miles round Germany, 800 miles round the Netherlands, and god knows how many thousand miles round the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom