Why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When what seemed to be the same people robbed me a second time, a pcso came, and she couldn't have been more helpful. She did say that the carpet grippers and other bits I'd placed to 'gather dna' could get me arrested if someone got hurt, she had to agree that the fine would be cheaper than any increase in insurance premiums

Got to say this PCSO is talking bollocks. Unless you have wired your door to the mains you are never going to get arrested, urban myth.

I think part of the problem is that the restraints on Policing now mean that the people who would be good at 'policing' won't apply, so (only from personal experience) many of those applying are the last ones I want to see with authority. They tend to be in it for the power of the uniform, rather than the desire to help people by dealing with n'er do wells.

The Officers that are effective seem to find themselves needed on the ground, so the less capable get promoted out of the way and end up pushing bizarre schemes.

Anybody that joins for the "power of the Uniform" is in for a nasty shock, they are neither wanted or liked by Officers on the ground. Yes you do get the odd cockend but the same is true of every profession, 99% of Cops want to help people, to catch the bad guy and keep the streets safe. If only it were that simple though.

Got to say this PCSO is talking bollocks. Unless you have wired your door to the mains you are never going to get arrested, urban myth.

To be fair, it could have been some wording other than arrest, but she wasn't being jobsworth and saying remove it, I think she was more suggesting I have a justification for some of the traps I'd set.

Anybody that joins for the "power of the Uniform" is in for a nasty shock, they are neither wanted or liked by Officers on the ground. Yes you do get the odd cockend but the same is true of every profession, 99% of Cops want to help people, to catch the bad guy and keep the streets safe. If only it were that simple though.

I don't doubt what you say. My view is jaded by several bad experiences of Policing, and knowing a few recruits over the last few years who see it as them and us and see the 'civilians, as they describe us as 'them'.

I do also know a few Police Officers who are a bloody good to be fair. I can appreciate a fair few of the frustrations of the system they have to work under.

outlash

also available in orange
True, but Police not interested in minor crimes is hardly news.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course it is. If its against the law to cycle on a pavement I'm damn sure you can't ride a moped on one.
What about a car? Would that be OK?

The chap is correct. It's an offence not a crime.

And without some kind of corroboration from witnesses, cctv etc there ain't nothing can be done. Generally they won't dispatch a bobby round to even bollock the person because a) without proof it's too open to chumps making false reports or exaggerating to get one over on someone else, and b) anyone cretinous enough to break the law like that isn't likely to take the blindest bit of notice.

You saw someone being a tool, there's nothing practical can be done about it. That's just how it sometimes goes down.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sorry, I didn't realise you needed a full transcript of the conversation.
Tbh I could've told him he shoved me off the bridge into the river and I doubt he'd have shown anymore interest.
You obviously don't think it was a big deal, I do, you have nothing more to contribute here.

:scratch: I was responding to Monty Veda, but...... Are we not allowed to quote the original post now?? :scratch:

Are you confusing me with someone else?? Seriously?? I am merely respoding to what was written, nothing else, and not ONCE did I ever say I thought it was trivial.

EDIT: Mistake sorted out and post edited.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I think part of the problem is that the restraints on Policing now mean that the people who would be good at 'policing' won't apply, so (only from personal experience) many of those applying are the last ones I want to see with authority. They tend to be in it for the power of the uniform, rather than the desire to help people by dealing with n'er do wells..

Yep. Who wants to work nights, be regularly abused and occasionally assaulted for somewhat less money that they could earn stacking shelves in Lidl? The recent changes to the pay structure for new starters means the quality of new recruit has seriously nosedived. To put a cherry on top they now don't spend any money training them properly. In a decades time, 12 or 13 years tops, it'll be permanently f****d as the last of the people that may have known what they were doing have retired.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep. Who wants to work nights, be regularly abused and occasionally assaulted for somewhat less money that they could earn stacking shelves in Lidl? The recent changes to the pay structure for new starters means the quality of new recruit has seriously nosedived. To put a cherry on top they now don't spend any money training them properly. In a decades time, 12 or 13 years tops, it'll be permanently f****d as the last of the people that may have known what they were doing have retired.
You're to old to work stacking shelves for Lidl!

Top Bottom