Why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I haven't read all the posts, but I reckon it's nominally a crime, but probably not one worth reporting, although annoying, and yes, the polis could give more of a shoot.

Never heard of that before! Are they on top of a wall/fence?

Not on a wall, no. I used them as a part of a few other bits I'd cobbled together with weights and mousetraps in the hope of getting the dna the police said they needed.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
The chap is correct. It's an offence not a crime.

And without some kind of corroboration from witnesses, cctv etc there ain't nothing can be done. Generally they won't dispatch a bobby round to even bollock the person because a) without proof it's too open to chumps making false reports or exaggerating to get one over on someone else, and b) anyone cretinous enough to break the law like that isn't likely to take the blindest bit of notice.

You saw someone being a tool, there's nothing practical can be done about it. That's just how it sometimes goes down.
There were two witnesses, I told the police this and I know where one of them lives.
I appreciate itsnot in the same league as robbery etc but I felt it warranted afinger waggle at least.

classic33

Leg End Member
You cheeky f*****! ;)
They'd have to pay you more than the 18 year olds they employ.

Its not your fault he's losing his job, if he had been professional in the first place, then....

I bet he has done it to others too anyway
I'd imagine he isn't losing his job because he's grumpy, he's grumpy because he's losing his job. You don't get to work a notice if you've been sacked/required to resign.
This will be due to the cuts I mentioned earlier, mass culling of support staff. The only thing you get with less is less.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Yep. Who wants to work nights, be regularly abused and occasionally assaulted for somewhat less money that they could earn stacking shelves in Lidl? The recent changes to the pay structure for new starters means the quality of new recruit has seriously nosedived.
I have a good amount of respect for the Police & work alongside them from time to time, however, I would love a bit of the £35k ish a year poverty *that some of the old boys enjoy*, that's two salaries in our house.

I am sure Lidl shelf stackers are on a minimum wage & I am informed dodgy contracts also.

*happy to be corrected*.

Hyslop

Veteran
So, PC I'm a lot nicer just visited and they will be visiting this prat and giving him a formal warning and if he does it again they'll seize his bike.
I feel better.
She also apologised for the grumpy drawers on the phone who is losing his job at the end of the month,so I feel a little bad too.
Good to hear,well done the lass with backbone and integrity:okay:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The other side of this is that depending on the size of the force they could be getting up to 4000 calls per day. The chances of the call handler being a PC are slim to none, and the chances of this going anywhere near a Court are absolutely zero. Doesn't make it right, but people need to understand that stuff like this is going to happen more and more often, less, far less Police, soon to be no PCSO's , no admin staff and no give left in the system.
Yes in a perfect world the call handler should have taken your details and someone should have popped round to speak to the registered keeper, but we now inhabit a world where there have been 25% cuts to the Policing budget in the last 5 years and there are another 25-40% cuts coming next.
The people of this Country voted for this Government and their plans so we have all got to live with the consequences.

As an aside I'm not making excuses for rude/lazy/inept Police Officer's, I'm just stating that peoples expectations may have to change.

Actually the police have given up policing. They fail to patrol on foot, they fail to actually prevent crime, they just wait for it to happen. In 1960 there were 72,000 police, in 2010 there were 144,000, so don't tell me there aren't enough officers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom