Why can't runners cycle quickly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is my second post today including a link to something I read, so sorry about this.

I recently found this article by a guy who does a podcast on ultra running, who has started doing a series of articles about cycling for runners. I'm a runner who's getting back into cycling, so it felt fitting. In the article, he explains why runners (especially women) aren't particularly fast cyclists. I'd be interested in your views?

http://iancorless.org/2015/08/06/cycling-for-runners-why-cant-runners-cycle-quickly/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm not a runner (I HATE running), but found the article interesting, and could probably tick the female lacking leg strength box. Perhaps I do reach for the shifter far too easily:whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is this guy serious?

6. When runners complete cycle testing sessions we commonly hear this: “My heart and lungs felt fine, it’s just my legs, I couldn’t turn the pedals, there was too much resistance”

2. To use bigger gears you need to have the basic leg strength (often lacking in runners, moreso ladies)

4. Pretty much all studies on the subject show that slower cadences use less oxygen, results in lower heart rate and require less fuel than higher cadences

This stuff is just nonsense

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Is this guy serious?

6. When runners complete cycle testing sessions we commonly hear this: “My heart and lungs felt fine, it’s just my legs, I couldn’t turn the pedals, there was too much resistance”

2. To use bigger gears you need to have the basic leg strength (often lacking in runners, moreso ladies)

4. Pretty much all studies on the subject show that slower cadences use less oxygen, results in lower heart rate and require less fuel than higher cadences

Why do you think that?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There are a few world class duathletes and triathletes that may disagree with this too.

His basic premise from which he expands seems wrong. Sure if you run the same pace around a track he might have a point but if you run on trails, uphill, do sprints, fartlek etc you surely alter the resistance on your legs and the muscles groups you use. When it comes to cycling you don't transfer that strength completely and have to build the same as running. And the especially women bit, what twaddle, why? It mostly seems nonsense with some truth hiding in there about runners adapting to cycling.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is the women bit because ladies don't like to have big muscly legs? :rolleyes: Although, in all seriousness, one or two women have said to me in the past that that was why they didn't take up cycling. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I don't want big muscular legs, it makes it harder to get clothes sometimes:laugh:, but I could also help that issue by loosing some fat too :whistle:. Though I would say runners seem to have slimmer thighs.

moo

Is this guy serious?

Indeed.

Slower cadence (at the same power level) uses less oxygen but MORE fuel. Oxygen is plentiful, glycogen stores are not.

Top Bottom