Why can't runners cycle quickly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was a runner I was a dreadful slow plodder. But as a cyclist I'm quite different. I'm ... er ... a dreadful slow trundler.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
First one - there is loads of analysis that shows that the force exerted through the pedals, even when riding quite hard, is about 200 Newtons (about 20kg). Of course runners experience no resistance but we're still talking about, when cycling, resistance levels which are very low

Second one - as above. How "strong" your legs are has nothing to do with how fast you cycle unless you're a track sprinter. It's all about aerobic capacity as the forces involved are small enough for everyone to exert (that's the 200 Newtons)

Third one - this makes me laugh. If that was really the case why do all professional cyclists maintain what most people would consider a fast cadence? It's because they have worked out that, to cycle as fast as possible for a long time, allowing your aerobic capacity to be the limiter (fast cadence, low forces) rather than leg strength (slow cadence, high forces) gives the best results

Not quite as simple as that though, is it.

Anyone can spin in a high cadence but that doesn't mean they'll be hot on the heels of Alex Dowsett because he'll be pushing a higher gear.

The reason he can do that is probably a little more complicated. Aerobic engine etc. or is there also some superior leg strength to be taken into account?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is this obsession with leg strength ...? :wacko:

Can you stand up from a sitting position and does your pedalling effort lift you out of the saddle***? If the answers are 'yes' and 'no' then your legs are strong enough to lift you, but on the bike they don't need to! :okay:

*** I know that sprinters usually sprint standing up. We have already covered leg strength in sprinters.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This is my second post today including a link to something I read, so sorry about this.

I recently found this article by a guy who does a podcast on ultra running, who has started doing a series of articles about cycling for runners. I'm a runner who's getting back into cycling, so it felt fitting. In the article, he explains why runners (especially women) aren't particularly fast cyclists. I'd be interested in your views?

http://iancorless.org/2015/08/06/cycling-for-runners-why-cant-runners-cycle-quickly/
Of the two best riders I know, one is a runner. I know plenty of very good riders who are also runners and actually think runners make excellent riders...something doesn't track here.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are a few world class duathletes and triathletes that may disagree with this too.
Who generally ride bikes with different frame geometries to "normal" bikes to take advantage of their runners musculature?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Who generally ride bikes with different frame geometries to "normal" bikes to take advantage of their runners musculature?

I thought it was the opposite - a Triathlon bike has a steeper tube angle meaning a more forward seat position to preserve the hamstrings for the run. I could be wrong though, I have never done a triathlon, I like to take my time getting dressed.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I thought it was the opposite - a Triathlon bike has a steeper tube angle meaning a more forward seat position to preserve the hamstrings for the run. I could be wrong though, I have never done a triathlon, I like to take my time getting dressed.

Same here. Think I could be a world class triathlete, but I don't like showing my undergarments in public. :ohmy:

Tin Pot

Guru
This is my second post today including a link to something I read, so sorry about this.

I recently found this article by a guy who does a podcast on ultra running, who has started doing a series of articles about cycling for runners. I'm a runner who's getting back into cycling, so it felt fitting. In the article, he explains why runners (especially women) aren't particularly fast cyclists. I'd be interested in your views?

http://iancorless.org/2015/08/06/cycling-for-runners-why-cant-runners-cycle-quickly/

Pseudoscience.

It sounds like science, but isn't.

The opening premise is that the difference between cycling and running is determined by the VO2 Max test.

There is no basis given or supported for that.

The point about cadence and triathletes is completely missed - it's about efficiency; fuel, power, heart rate, the lot. A higher cadence in a lower gear is more efficient in certain situations.

The only good part is that it encourages training in higher gears, which I would agree makes hill climbing easier as your legs strengthen. But I won't race like that.

Tin Pot

Guru

You're right.

Top Bottom