Why carry any tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
battered said:
I didn't say it couldn't happen, I said it was unlikely. One has a point/sharp edge, one not. In any accident. which is *more likely* to hurt you? Of course you *could* see a tube "unravel and go through your anatomy" but like I said, you'd have to try pretty hard.

"don't tell me it won't happen because I know it will". What, every time? :smile:

Of course it can injure you, so can anything. Dozens of people are hospitalised every year with eye injuries from Christmas trees, but it's hardly the biggest hazard in the home. Within the context of an open vehicle travelling at speeds of up to 30-40 mph on public roads, while metal cubes come the other way at high speed, a rolled up inner tube is *unlikely* to be a cause of injury or death, and even less likely than a screwdriver, which is where I came in.

Regards
I think you've missed the point, which was badly made on my part. Which was a screwdriver as a source of injury is hardly worse than a tyre lever or a valve stem.

Oddly enough I've never been stabbed by the screwdriver in my back pocket, not surprisingly as it's in a box with the rest of my on-road tool kit, but I have been stabbed by a valve stem from a tube. Though that wasn't in an accident, I just sat down down on a bench :girl:.

jimboalee

If you do happen to be nudged off the road and onto the sidewalk sliding along on your left shoulder, make sure there's not a sign post approaching rapidly.
They look like a aluminium baseball bat that magically turns into a Paramedic's hand lamp.

dubman

Guru
rh100 said:
I keep meaning to get some quick links for the chain aswell rather than carry the splitter and some pins.

I've always wondered how you get the removable link in if you can't get the rivets near the break out. That's why I carry a small extractor tool.

What would the AA say if, being a member, you called them and asked for assistance with your broken down bike? You can if you're on a motor bike after all!

Not sure what the AA would say , but you can get bicycle breakdown cover ! I have it with my bike insurance ;)

I always carry tools. When I whacked my MTB wheel out of true on a rock I had to back the front brakes right off and pretty much rely on the rear breaks to get me home. No tools = no front wheel movement. If I could ride off road properly there's a good chance I wouldn't have needed the tools. :laugh:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In addition to the usual stuff quoted I make sure I have the correct allen key that will allow me to take the (Look) cleats off my shoes - an 'if all else fails' backup. Also an ICE (in case of emergency) number in the mobile, and written on a card, just in case.

e-rider

crappy member
I've been carrying a multi-tool in one form or another for 20 years and never had to use it once; so I agree that generally, a tube and 2 tyre levers plus pump is enough.

MJN

I've been carrying a multi-tool in one form or another for 20 years and never had to use it once; so I agree that generally, a tube and 2 tyre levers plus pump is enough.
I regard something like a multi-tool as something akin to insurance - there just in case in your need it. Furthermore, the similarity extends to the fact that just because you've not needed it in 20 years doesn't necessarilly lessen the requirement for it in the future! I've never claimed on my house or car insurances but I still consider it necessary to have them (let's ignore the legal obligations with that analogy!) :smile:

Regarding the OP's question I think it's clearly down to personal choice - there are too many factors and variables for a one-size-fits-all stance. For me, I take a multitool, tube and a few other bits and bobs in my small saddle bag and don't see any benefit from not doing so in my circumstances. Maybe it's having the 'be prepared' motto drilled into me in my cubs/scouts days..!

Mathew

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Generally, yes, but from time to time - no!

A couple of years ago on a local audax event, I was eating a snack at the top of the steep Nick o' Pendle climb when a fellow cyclist arrived at the top of the hill, walking his bike and with his chain wrapped around a stick. I used the chain tool on my multi-tool to fix the problem for him. A broken chain may be rare, but it's a complete show-stopper without a tool to fix it!

Crankarm

Guru
Last summer out on a sunday 100 mile ride my rear tyre exploded like a gun shot at 26mph. The tyre was pumped up to130psi.
Anyway just outside a village in the middle of nowhere I spent a few mintues gazing at the gaping hole in my worn Bontrager Select tyre wondering what I was going to do to get home about 40 miles away ............ I hobbled in my cleats to the side of the road nearly being run down by a BMW X5 and a huge Audi barge that were speeding through the village and narrow lanes. First I had a drink then rummaged through my Topeak saddle pouch. Spare tube - yep, puncture repair kit - yep but nothing inside durable enough to patch the tyre. So game over. Not quite as I carefully dissected the Schwalbe tube box and made a patch about 3 or 4 layers thick of the card and placed inside the tyre. Fitted back in rim, put in new tube and gently inflated to about 40-45psi. It looked a goer. In the 30 mintues I was stuck by the road quite clearly in difficutlies only one car driver stopped to ask if I needed any help, an old black guy and his wife out for a sunday drive. He had a new Honda civic so quite how he would have fitted my bike in his car I don't know but he kindly offered. But I gratefully declined as I felt my patch would hold. There were quite a few other cars that speed by none of which stopped to ask if I needed help or was alright. One huge 4x4 SUV had a stupid bint woman in who pointed out to her kids the cyclist with a puncture by the side of the road and they all laughed as they went by.

I got home with the card patch in my tyre without further incident. Infact I was debating whether to continue using it rather than put on a new tyre.

So my response to the OP is go prepared.
Take at least two new tubes, puncture repair kit, new item which I carry is a cut out 6 inch piece of old tyre, width bead to bead which is in good condition, several chain quick links and pins, dedicated chain tool although have one on my multi-tool, pump, food, drink, camera and mobile phone, one's details and contacts should one be knocked off and made unconscious/seriously injured/killed and the driver buggers off.

I had to give 1 tube and some of the old tyre to cover a holed tyre to two other club riders last year who were unprepared.

Ray Mears would not be impressed with those who go out expecting to rely on others.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ray Mears would not be impressed with those who go out expecting to rely on others.
I'm always amazed at how unembarrassed people are about phoning for help when they have a minor problem which they could easily sort out themselves if they'd bothered to carry a few spares and tools. 

"Hi dear, it's me. I've got a puncture so I need a lift  back. I'm in the Idler's Arms in Lazytown about 40 miles from home so just drop what you are doing and come and get me."

I rode Spring Into the Dales with some fellow CC forum members back in April and we came across just such a rider...

We rode off through Appletreewick and I immediately spotted a cyclist walking his bike along the lane. As I got closer I saw that he had a flat rear tyre so I asked if he needed any help. He said that he’d forgotten to bring spare tubes or a repair kit so he was going to find a suitable spot to wait and phone for a lift home. I said that we could sort him out and Alun fished out a glueless patch for him to use. He looked a bit sheepish and thanked us and we set off on our way. 

You know what – I reckon the man was still going to phone for that lift! I’m sure that he had made his mind up not to bother trying to sort himself out. I know it isn’t any of my business, but I think that attitude is pretty selfish and it’s also pretty stupid. Out in the Yorkshire Dales there will be many places where a mobile phone won’t get a signal and it could be miles to a call box. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst! Okay, ‘the worst’ could be something like an asteroid landing on your ahead and carrying a spare tube won’t help you with that, nor would it get you out in one piece from under a 30 ton truck. I’ll rephrase – ‘Hope for the best but prepare for common problems!’ – okay? ;) 

Crankarm boy you were lucky , to get someone to stop for you. I recently had a rim break on me and I had to get the bike home which was 10 miles away. Walking my bike through some lanes and in places walking downhill about 6 cars passed me but not one of them bothered to stop and ask whether I needed help. In fact at the start of my journey 3 cyclists rode past and I commented about my rim breaking but with a knod they just rode off. To be fair though they could not have done a lot for me.

At that time I swore if ever I saw a cyclist in the same situation given the difficulties I had I would also just drive past but that thought soon wore off and if I do see a cyclist in trouble you can take it from me I will stop.

I did wonder about calling the AA but in the end I thought that it would not be worth the effort. If anyone ever does can you let the rest of us know what their response was.

Crankarm

Guru
Crankarm boy you were lucky , to get someone to stop for you. I recently had a rim break on me and I had to get the bike home which was 10 miles away. Walking my bike through some lanes and in places walking downhill about 6 cars passed me but not one of them bothered to stop and ask whether I needed help. In fact at the start of my journey 3 cyclists rode past and I commented about my rim breaking but with a knod they just rode off. To be fair though they could not have done a lot for me.

At that time I swore if ever I saw a cyclist in the same situation given the difficulties I had I would also just drive past but that thought soon wore off and if I do see a cyclist in trouble you can take it from me I will stop.

I did wonder about calling the AA but in the end I thought that it would not be worth the effort. If anyone ever does can you let the rest of us know what their response was.

I didn't get him to stop, he pulled up asking if I needed any help. I'd pretty much got the tyre inflated and was putting the wheel back in the drop outs by then anyway.

Top Bottom