Why carry any tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
GrasB said:
You mention the screw driver but have you thought about the tyre levers & valve stems!? Both can be equally dangerous in an accident.

In fact I carry all but the tubes in little waterproof box, the screwdriver is actually a 1/4" hex bit driver & I have 6mm & #2 Phillips x 35mm bits.
I just mentioned the worst tool to have in a pocket!

I don't carry anything in my back pockets - it all goes in a CamelBak bag. Yes, it is conceivable that something could be forced through that and then through me but the bag is pretty well padded. I'm getting tired of having a sweaty back though, so perhaps I'll go back to having a large bag on the bike.

battered

Guru
GrasB said:
You mention the screw driver but have you thought about the tyre levers & valve stems!? Both can be equally dangerous in an accident.

Hardly. I could put a screwdriver through my hand, I couldn't a tyre lever. They don't have a chisel point for a good reason. I've accidentally stabbed myself many times with screwdrivers, you'd have to try very hard to do that with a valve stem.

If it's in a box you won't come to any harm.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you suck out the air then roll your tube starting with the valve inside then tape the tube tightly along with the tyre levers, you get a nice little solid bundle that fits easily in a jersey pocket and isn't much bigger than a choccy bar.

GrasB

Veteran
battered said:
Hardly. I could put a screwdriver through my hand, I couldn't a tyre lever. They don't have a chisel point for a good reason. I've accidentally stabbed myself many times with screwdrivers, you'd have to try very hard to do that with a valve stem.

If it's in a box you won't come to any harm.
Let me give you this little scenario, you fall off, the tyre lever brakes & then embeds its self into your back. This is what happened to someone I know, so don't tell me it won't happen because I know it will.

Tubes boxed & tied aren't exactly stable if you come off either & once that tube had unravelled it can go anywhere, including through your anatomy.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Oh, and what about those deadly spoke things holding your wheels together?
If you crash, and one of them breaks it will almost definitely have your eye out at the very least.

And the sprockets..... dont forget the sprockets.... oh the horror.

;):laugh::biggrin:

battered

Guru
GrasB said:
Let me give you this little scenario, you fall off, the tyre lever brakes & then embeds its self into your back. This is what happened to someone I know, so don't tell me it won't happen because I know it will.

Tubes boxed & tied aren't exactly stable if you come off either & once that tube had unravelled it can go anywhere, including through your anatomy.

I didn't say it couldn't happen, I said it was unlikely. One has a point/sharp edge, one not. In any accident. which is *more likely* to hurt you? Of course you *could* see a tube "unravel and go through your anatomy" but like I said, you'd have to try pretty hard.

"don't tell me it won't happen because I know it will". What, every time? ;)

Of course it can injure you, so can anything. Dozens of people are hospitalised every year with eye injuries from Christmas trees, but it's hardly the biggest hazard in the home. Within the context of an open vehicle travelling at speeds of up to 30-40 mph on public roads, while metal cubes come the other way at high speed, a rolled up inner tube is *unlikely* to be a cause of injury or death, and even less likely than a screwdriver, which is where I came in.

Regards

rh100

Kestevan said:
Oh, and what about those deadly spoke things holding your wheels together?
If you crash, and one of them breaks it will almost definitely have your eye out at the very least.

And the sprockets..... dont forget the sprockets.... oh the horror.

:girl::laugh::smile:

It's the QR skewers that scare me.....surely they don't have that name for nothing :smile: lol

I've wondered about spokes though - could you get one in the back of your leg if ones breaks???

As for first aid kit, I may do, I have a small one that was in my car I could use.

I don't even carry keys in my pocket, let alone a screwdriver, would hate to land on keys or small change if I came off.

Alun

Guru
There is the added risk of strangulation from inner tubes carried in jersey pockets, which you don't get with screwdrivers. Always carry them in a seatpack !

PpPete

Legendary Member
mark barker said:
So does anyone carry a first aid kit?

I've started carrying one as frequently out with a group of youngsters. Of course none of them has ever fallen off. But I was very glad of it when I had an off recently. Meant I could patch up a big deep hole in my elbow (which needed 7 stitches) and carry on with the ride, and do the A&E thing later.

Doesn't need to be very big. Mine's only 150grams, small enough for jersey pocket (although it usually lives in bar bag) and contents are targeted very much at "road rash" type injuries.

Top Bottom