Why carry any tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
But why would your chain break if it was in good condition and you rode with mechanical sympathy? I've seen it happen once in 22 years and the bloke's bike was an ill-maintained mess.

Isn't carrying too many tools the cycling equivalent of going on holiday with too much in your suitcase? It's for psychological comfort rather than any real need. The tools just add weight, rattle, get damaged and wear out your saddle bag.

Barbelier

rh100 said:
Good point - can you tell I haven't had chain related issues at the roadside yet :thumbsup:

I wonder if anyone has ever tried calling the AA? Might be good for a lift at least? lol
I took out the roadside assistance with my CTC membership, to cover me in the event of a major breakdown or accident.
Fortunately, I haven't had to call on them so far. Tempted to do so to see if they arrive with flashing blue lights! More likely some spotty youth from the LBS who'll take one look at it and tell me its knackered!
Anyone had any experience with the CTC MTB Rescue service?

rh100

Barbelier said:
I took out the roadside assistance with my CTC membership, to cover me in the event of a major breakdown or accident.
Fortunately, I haven't had to call on them so far. Tempted to do so to see if they arrive with flashing blue lights! More likely some spotty youth from the LBS who'll take one look at it and tell me its knackered!
Anyone had any experience with the CTC MTB Rescue service?

Oh No! 'Halfords, the Fifth Emergency Service', god help us all :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I didn't know that was available from the CTC. Interesting.

Davidc

Guru
rh100 said:
Good point - can you tell I haven't had chain related issues at the roadside yet :thumbsup:

I haven't either. I always replace them before they're worn out, and keep them well maintained, but I'm aware of the possibility. The only time I've used my chain kit was to help out someone else who was stranded (on the Somerset levels with a 4 mile walk to civilisation). Did that without using the link though, just pushed a rivet out and back in on a worn out chain.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I (almost always) carry a small toolkit with me. Sure, I check the bike over periodically, but I figure its far more likely that something will loosen/break/go renegade on me when its being bumped around SE London than when its just sitting in my kitchen.

If I detect an unexpected creak (I have plenty of expected ones) I can normally hypothesise, diagnose, fix at the roadside, then use the rest of the ride home to verify its solved.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've done far more damage to my bikes over the years by being careless in the workshop and breaking something than while out on the road.

rh100

Globalti said:
But why would your chain break if it was in good condition and you rode with mechanical sympathy? I've seen it happen once in 22 years and the bloke's bike was an ill-maintained mess.

Isn't carrying too many tools the cycling equivalent of going on holiday with too much in your suitcase? It's for psychological comfort rather than any real need. The tools just add weight, rattle, get damaged and wear out your saddle bag.

I suppose diligence in maintaining your bike pays off, but surely you can't rule out chance and bad luck. What a shame to ruin a ride for the want of a tool and 5 minutes before continuing.

The only issues I've had on the road so far is flat tyres, chains coming off, handlebars slipped :thumbsup:, rubbing brakes and dodgy gear changes on the back.

Most of those could have been prevented by having a perfectly maintained bikes in the first place, but you have to learn as you go and having some tools with me meant the ride continued and a more thorough check up and learning session when I got back to the shed.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'd rather be as self sufficient as possible without having to rely on begging for help from someone in the middle of nowhere.

Agree - a lot of cyclists tool are unique to cycling so you can't always knock on a house and expect the homeowner to have them.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is the kind of situation on the MTB where I definitely carry a comprehensive tool and spares kit; a breakdown could mean a 10 mile walk in cycling shoes:

MtKeen300808019.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you hit a pothole (or someone hits you) and buckle a wheel sufficiently that it doesn't clear the brake pads, the knowledge that it was true when you set out is not going to be much comfort

My multi tool is a topeak one with the chain tool, tyre levers and spoke keys built in. I've used the levers a few times, I think I've used the chain tool once on the commuter never on a road bike and used the allen keys a few times to adjust things but I've never used the spoke keys. So although I hardly ever (touch wood) have to use it on the road it isn't really much hassle to carry it and the reassurance it is there is good on a 100mile ride. I like self sufficiency and wouldn't be wanting 50 miles from home to make a come and get me plea for something that can be fixed in minutes.

Also when my chain snapped I had an exam and it wasn't really convenient to go 4.5miles home.

MartinC

Über Member
Globalti, your initial analysis is flawed. Just because you verified that your bike was (apparently) in perfect mechanical condition when you set off that doesn't prevent a failure. It may reduce the probability. For example, I can pump my tyres up before I set off but that doesn't guarantee that they'll remain like that for the duration of my ride.

Another factor is that the people who can, and do, maintain their bikes are precisely the people who appreciate what can fail or go out of adjustment and are motivated to be in a position to fix it.

You also need to bear in mind the unofficial rules of life:

you'll only puncture when you've forgotten your pump,

you carry tools to lend them to the fools you ride with that don't carry them or know how to use them.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Another factor is that the people who can, and do, maintain their bikes are precisely the people who appreciate what can fail or go out of adjustment and are motivated to be in a position to fix it.

On the contrary; people who maintain their bikes know exactly what they are capable of doing and how much stress they can take. Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

And what goes out of adjustment on a bike that can't be re-adjusted without the need for tools?

MartinC

Über Member
Globalti said:
Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

Agree with the first part but not the second. You need to bear in mind at bikes, people and rides are all different. Someone out all day on a fully specced touring bike with mudguards, lights, luggage, etc. is in a different scenario to someone out for a 30 min training session on a race bike.

iendicott

Globalti said:
On the contrary; people who maintain their bikes know exactly what they are capable of doing and how much stress they can take. Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

And what goes out of adjustment on a bike that can't be re-adjusted without the need for tools?

I agree with you to a point... but there is always the unforseen as people have mentioned. Nothing is 100% gauaranteed in life other than death and taxes.

I disagree with the stress part as you can have two compenents the same and one will fail quicker than the other in exactly the same circumstances.

Top Bottom