Why carry any tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Globalti said:
On the contrary; people who maintain their bikes know exactly what they are capable of doing and how much stress they can take. Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

And what goes out of adjustment on a bike that can't be re-adjusted without the need for tools?

Headsets, as one example. I hit a small pothole one time that was able to jar the headset ever so slightly loose. The bike was still ridable and I may not have damaged bearings and cups riding 20 miles home, but 2 mins with an allen key from the multi tool and the headset was tight again.

Chains break, even new ones, and not carrying at least a chain breaker is foolish.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Agree with the first part but not the second. You need to bear in mind at bikes, people and rides are all different. Someone out all day on a fully specced touring bike with mudguards, lights, luggage, etc. is in a different scenario to someone out for a 30 min training session on a race bike.

Well you're right; the long-haul tourer is in a closer situation to the remote country MTBer, the level of spares and tools carried needs to be more comprehensive than for the sport rider out for a couple of hours' blast around the local lanes. A problem that is spotted at the evening campsite can be rectified without the need for a time-consuming diversion to find a bike shop.

homercles

Think about it this way, do you really want to walk miles back home in spd shoes dressed in lycra pushing a broken bike with every driver and pedestrian laughing at your misfortune? I would always advise you take at least a spare tube, levers, mini pump, chain tool and multitool to avoid this humiliating experience.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti said:
Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

And what goes out of adjustment on a bike that can't be re-adjusted without the need for tools?
Case 1: I was in a group of about 30 riders on the Costa Blanca. We had just hit a small hill and were starting to power our way up it when we heard a loud noise and a stream of expletives coming from the back of the group. A rider had just tried to change gear and his gear hanger had broken, sending his rear mech into the wheel. Several spokes were broken, his mech was hanging down into the wheel and the chain was mangled. We were about 30 miles from our hotel, in the middle of nowhere.

Between us, we managed to take off his rear mech, shorten the damaged section of chain and turn his bike into a singlespeed for the ride back, and straighten his rear wheel enough to make it rideable with the back brake slackened off.

Case 2: The one where a mate of mine decided to test the impact resistance of a dry stone wall with his head after spending too much time enjoying the scenery on a fast descent at Bowland Knotts! His front wheel was completely mangled but he managed to straighten it enough to ride 20 miles back to his car.

All the necessary tools (allen keys, spoke keys, chain tool) were available on one multitool. I always carry one, as well as two tubes, a puncture kit, a pump, some duct tape, a length of chain, some powerlinks and a few other bits and pieces.

I don't have a partner with access to a car and I don't intend bothering my friends who do drive if I have a problem when I'm out on my bike. I can't afford long-distance taxi or rail fares if my bike is broken, so I make damn sure that I can fix most things if I have to. I've always managed to get home under my own steam in over 100,000 km of cycling.

mark barker

homercles said:
Think about it this way, do you really want to walk miles back home in spd shoes dressed in lycra pushing a broken bike with every driver and pedestrian laughing at your misfortune? I would always advise you take at least a spare tube, levers, mini pump, chain tool and multitool to avoid this humiliating experience.
A great reason to cycle in jeans and trainers! :rolleyes:

Bella83

I only commute in zone one so all i carry is an inner tube, and tyer leavers. I haven't got round to getting a pump yet but i pass loads of bike shops on the way so they'll sell me one when i'm in need

D

Deleted member 1258

Many years ago, about thirty, when I came back to cycling I could only afford old second hand bikes, I got into the habit of carrying a tool kit after getting caught out a couple of times by things breaking. These days I ride much better bikes but still carry a tool kit, on my commute I could probably get away with just the kit to deal with punctures, but on Sunday morning rides I am likely to be thirty or forty miles from home with no one who could rescue me if something breaks so the tool kit is essential. The funny thing is that I can't remember the last time my bike needed fixing by the roadside but I've helped other people get home several times.

GrasB

Veteran
At the end of the day a pair disposable gloves, spare innertube(s) with a means of inflation, tyre leavers, a decent multi tool, small pliers & a standard flat screwdriver (all those tools I can fit in 2 back pockets of a jersey) should give the ability to get you home. But why carry a multi-tool? Get back to me after hit a pot hole as you're hooking up the top chain ring while putting in the big power... okay I'll give you some clues bent front mech, bent top chain ring, broken chain & the stem twisted round on the steerer.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
On the contrary; people who maintain their bikes know exactly what they are capable of doing and how much stress they can take. Anything that then breaks while on the road is beyond their control and likely to be irreparable by the roadside.

I do all my own maintenance.... and have had several "mechanicals" that I've been able to fix at roadside with topeak multitool and a few odds & sods I carry in a small underseat wedgepack along with tube & PRK.
Maybe I'm just not good enough / diligent enough at the maintenance.

i don't have access to car as backup so in my bag goes a multitool, 2 innertubes, repair kit,quick link, a few cable ties, insulation tape a few mudgaurd bolts and a well used folding tyre. a frame fitting pump always goes as well. if it's the fixed bike then a few chain links go in as well.
the spare tyre has seen plenty of use, once by me and several times by others who take little or nothing with them and seldom check their bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
GrasB said:
At the end of the day a pair disposable gloves, spare innertube(s) with a means of inflation, tyre leavers, a decent multi tool, small pliers & a standard flat screwdriver (all those tools I can fit in 2 back pockets of a jersey) should give the ability to get you home.
Er, have you ever thought about what damage a screwdriver through the kidneys would do if you fell off your bike and landed on your back! ;)

I am quite proud of the way I maintain my bikes, but I still carry what I feel is a reasonable toolkit when out for a ride. It is very rarely used, but it does give me peace of mind and is worth it for that alone. I have used it on bikes belonging to others far more often than on my own machines, and the ability to help someone else makes me feel good.

GrasB

Veteran
ColinJ said:
Er, have you ever thought about what damage a screwdriver through the kidneys would do if you fell off your bike and landed on your back! :smile:
You mention the screw driver but have you thought about the tyre levers & valve stems!? Both can be equally dangerous in an accident.

In fact I carry all but the tubes in little waterproof box, the screwdriver is actually a 1/4" hex bit driver & I have 6mm & #2 Phillips x 35mm bits.

Top Bottom