Why Contador is declared winner after stage 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Ok, so stage 21 still to determine the winner. It seems Contador had prematurely celebrated. At least the way those commentators drummed up.
Not really no, for the reasons given already & very longstanding convention in pro cycling Contador has celebrated exactly when he would do with such an advantage.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Contador said a few days ago this will be his last Giro.

Again, as someone who doesn't claim to understand pro racing, it seems odd to me for a top rider to rule himself out of competing in one of the top events.

martint235

Dog on a bike

Again, as someone who doesn't claim to understand pro racing, it seems odd to me for a top rider to rule himself out of competing in one of the top events.
IIRC he's retiring next year or at least that's his plan. It's not that he has something against the Giro itself.

Probably because it's really hard to win(and even ride in)one grand tour never mind two in the same year especially two as close together as the giro/tour pairing,there's been very few who have won both;presume he will concentrate on the tour now with the odd vuelta as well and now considers the giro as finished business with nothing to prove there any more.

LeonBlack

It's like being 3-0 up in a football game with a minute to go. If the worst comes to the worst, the other team could score 3 and get a draw, but it's unlikely to happen.

Top Bottom