why cyclists have to use cameras!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Its a good job i cycle in Devon and not in London

I'd be locked up within a week

Foxy

+1

Well the South west anyway.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Theres some scarey ones in there, but a fair few of those were just usual crap driving that happens between motorists all the time - pulling out or crossing a road making people with right of way brake a bit. At 1:05 in the rear view the taxi muscled a car out of the way too.

I like watching the videos, but im not sure i think cams and confrontation is a good idea.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to have a camera, sold it over a year ago as all i ever got was boring footage.
Today was the 1st day in maybe 18 months + that i thought a camera could have come in handy , mind you 50 % of my commute is country lanes and most of the time my journey is at times when traffic is light with the shifts i work.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I watched the whole 5m56s and it left me with a smug, warm feeling inside because I don't own a helmet cam and never intend to. In fact I may once have said that if I ever do start using a helmet cam I want fellow forum members to hunt me down and shoot me (I would settle for being repeatedly slapped until I saw sense! :wacko: )

Alun

Guru
I watched the whole 5m56s and it left me with a smug, warm feeling inside because I don't own a helmet cam and never intend to. In fact I may once have said that if I ever do start using a helmet cam I want fellow forum members to hunt me down and shoot me (I would settle for being repeatedly slapped until I saw sense! :wacko: )
You don't have a helmet to put a camera on do you?

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Thanks for that! Bolton's just the same then! At least I know what to keep a look out for! It seems very similar to being on a motorbike! I always say being a biker makes you a better driver, maybe as part of the driving test everyone has to do a few miles on a bicycle to see how it is!

Maylian

Veteran
I'm glad I don't live in London from watching that footage. Southampton isn't without its fair share of plonkers but I have yet to get one step out of their car after I shout at them for unsafe driving. I'm waiting for that day because I can envisage me smacking the crapola out of them if they do :sad: a good scream and I'm normally happy after a near hit.

GrasB

Veteran
any reason besides your own random prejudice? See the thing is most of us with cameras could post all our commutes on YT however it would mostly make VERY boring viewing. You might get a few ideas about interval training & maintaining sight lines from me but for the most part you'd be wasting 13-17 hours worth of your life a week.

caimg

Über Member
any reason besides your own random prejudice? See the thing is most of us with cameras could post all his commutes on YT however it would mostly make VERY boring viewing. You might get a few ideas about interval training & maintaining sight lines from me but for the most part you'd be wasting 13-17 hours worth of your life a week.

Exactly...the bizarre jealousy / misunderstanding of people against us that use cams don't realise that we have hours and hours of standard, incident-free footage. For me personally, I enjoy looking back at some of that anyway to check out certain routes of rides. In the event of something lame happening like a close pass (or worse) then it's a fantastic contingency for helping place blame, especially if there are no witnesses around. I've got insurance and I'd like to make sure in the event of something bad happening that there's a clear record of what happened.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Thanks for that! Bolton's just the same then! At least I know what to keep a look out for! It seems very similar to being on a motorbike! I always say being a biker makes you a better driver, maybe as part of the driving test everyone has to do a few miles on a bicycle to see how it is!
Exactly...the bizarre jealousy / misunderstanding of people against us that use cams don't realise that we have hours and hours of standard, incident-free footage.
Indeed. The 10 minutes footage of bad driving that I posted above was extracted from over 4,300 miles of cycle commuting, which would have taken around 300 hours (18,000 minutes) to complete.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If you don't have a camera I wouldn't worry as cammers have more incidents then non cammers. :whistle::becool:^_^
Actually, I find that since I got my helmet cam, drivers give me a wide berth and I've had few incidents. Thus my Youtube Channel is composed mainly of little 'travelogue' clips and not oh-my-God-I-nearly-died clips:blush:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
any reason besides your own random prejudice? See the thing is most of us with cameras could post all our commutes on YT however it would mostly make VERY boring viewing. You might get a few ideas about interval training & maintaining sight lines from me but for the most part you'd be wasting 13-17 hours worth of your life a week.
Indeed, that is why I am now only posting things where I actually want people to view and comment on them. I only post the worst of the worst, or things where I want peoples opinion on what I could have done better.

Top Bottom