Why do Audi drivers get slated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Cyclist get slated around here.

I'm mot really surprised.

If there aren't any bays marked out, like in a field, most people do leave slightly bigger gaps and can still park sensibly. More parent/child or disabled bay spacing.Which maybe says something about most car parks.
And this what do we think?
upload_2017-7-26_0-50-12.png

Park in middle of two bays BUT buy tickets for both of them.

And why is it if I park my Spider well away from anything else, as in an empty part of a car park someone will still park next to it. Can't blame them wanting to admire it, but why in the very next bay?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If there aren't any bays marked out, like in a field, most people do leave slightly bigger gaps and can still park sensibly. More parent/child or disabled bay spacing.Which maybe says something about most car parks.
View attachment 364270

And why is it if I park my Spider well away from anything else, as in an empty part of a car park someone will still park next to it. Can't blame them wanting to admire it, but why in the very next bay?

You can see why that car would struggle in the bays as the car and van either side are parked as close to the line as they can or over it. I once parked next to a car that was right onto the line, it was passenger doors together so drivers could get in and out ok, when I came back to my car the other one was gone but there was a scratch on my car along the the full length of it so maybe it was defensive parking on their part.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think people have difficulty aligning their cars with painted lines on the ground. Just look at how many drivers stop 6 feet or so behind the give way line at junctions. I don't think they've been taught their reference points properly so they don't know where the front of the car actually is. Much easier to line up with a solid object, such as your car.

View attachment 364270

I remember a new car park being painted at work

Workmen performed the deed, and went home, following morning, the paint is dry and car park opens to discover that due to a measuring error all the bays were only 4'6" wide... too small for most cars

Had to be repainted

I think people have difficulty aligning their cars with painted lines on the ground. Just look at how many drivers stop 6 feet or so behind the give way line at junctions. I don't think they've been taught their reference points properly so they don't know where the front of the car actually is. Much easier to line up with a solid object, such as your car.

I think that people just do not use reference points

Watch a car reverse round a corner and it will be in the middle of the road, not following the kerb with a proper turning point, same with parking, a lot of people just drive in because it is easier (essential in some cases) whereas good practice is to reverse in and drive out due to better visibility

sheddy

Legendary Member
Why do they get slated - maybe showing a forering badge on your front is a bit weird ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think that people just do not use reference points

Watch a car reverse round a corner and it will be in the middle of the road, not following the kerb with a proper turning point, same with parking, a lot of people just drive in because it is easier (essential in some cases) whereas good practice is to reverse in and drive out due to better visibility
Not just that, it's easier to reverse park into a tight space as you effectively have rear wheel steering.

Edit: but of course anyone who's passed a driving test knows that...

Last edited:

perplexed

Guru
Once entered a car park at a beauty spot in France. Two spaces left, next to each other...

Two drivers in the car park: me, and a Frenchman. There was space aplenty for us to park next to each other. He looked across at me and drove nose first into space 1. He then wriggled about a bit, to the point of putting his wheels on his driver's side actually over the white line into the space I was going into. He'd left about 4 or 5 feet on the other side. In other words, parked deliberately like a cock.

No bother. Got Mrs. P to hop out. Swung round to reverse into the by now much diminished space. He'd walked a few paces away by now, but turned to watch with a smug look on his visage. I just reversed into the space with my passenger door against his driver's door - about 2 inches away. But well within 'my' designated space.

He looked slightly less smug and appeared to be deciding whether to comment or not. I got out, and took a photo of the cars to show their respective spacing and the absence of damage. I never said a word to him.

It gave me satisfaction that upon returning, their car had left, meaning he must have had to wriggle across from the passenger side...

Not just that, it's easier to reverse park into a tight space as you effectively have rear wheel steering.

Edit: but of course anyone who's passed a driving test knows that...

Interesting point

Most instruction and the test allows parking in a bay with no other vehicles near

Apparently one of the big concerns of newly qualified drivers is parking in spaces with adjacent vehicles

winjim

Smash the cistern
Interesting point

Most instruction and the test allows parking in a bay with no other vehicles near

Apparently one of the big concerns of newly qualified drivers is parking in spaces with adjacent vehicles
Strange isn't it? It's so much easier using the corner of a stationary car as a reference point out the back window. I guess if people aren't confident they don't practice and never really get the hang of it.

I didn't learn to bay park for my test as the test centre doesn't have any bays but we did go through it a few times, always next to a stationary car.

Yep!
'End bays' are seemingly wider, or you can at least position accordingly as far into it as possible
If I do drive to work, I'll find one, as they all open onto grass verges, or a path, so no worries about a wall to one side, if I go in the Panda, I can have almost 2 foot to the side in an end bay!
(Octavia's less though, obviously)
Had to go in the car today (usually run/ride) as I had items to take
And, I took an end bay, in the staff car-park
20429651_10212270215102818_4324691304315940697_n.jpg

Now this is an Audi ! Not that shopping trolley !!
Is it the Sport? (the cut-down variant)
Let me ask a question.................Michele Mouton?

Based on the VW Iltis (well, that's where the original prototype parts came from)

Top Bottom