Why do dogs not like bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I'm sure it can't be just me but loads of times I am just cyling along, minding my own business when there is a dog on the pavement and it will suddenly lurch towards me barking it's head off. Normally it nearly takes the owner over with it as they are not expecting it!

When I am just walking along I don't get this reaction so can only presume it is the bike!

Does anyone else get this? Is it the motion or something? It's really strange I think!

Scares the hell out of me too! Has anyone ever had a dog break free of the owner? What are you supposed to do?

I love dogs too!

domtyler

Über Member
Bikes make a lot of high pitched squealing noises when they are moving, you can't hear it but the dog can. Make sure you've oiled your chain.

I love dogs too, but when an out-of-control Alsatian came for me the other day, I had no hesitation in unclipping my foot and clattering it about the head.

Stupid, stupid owners - I hate them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's pretty obvious why dogs chase cyclists. It's mostly prey instinct, and in some dogs/locations it'll be enhanced through "training" by posties.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
spindrift said:
Poodle near me kept chasing the postie on his bike so we had to confiscate it.

An absolute classic Spin!

Dogs love to chase fast moving things, it's an instinct in all breeds.
As for wether the dog views this chase as a game or a defencive measure is where the crux of the matter lays.

D x

gavintc

Guru
I think dogs should be licensed, owners required to take out insurance, and pass a competency test before they are allowed to take a dog out for a walk. Oh and they shouldnt RLJ either. Bloomin dogs.

I have only encountered a troublesome dog once. I was cycling through Battersea Park with a friend and his father, and a large dog ran at us barking like mad.

We all braked to a stop but it wouldn't stop coming for us, so my friends father got off his bike and made for the dog. He started yelling at it in a voice that any drill sergeant would be proud of, and advanced on it all the time shouting at it. The dog barked back a few times but started to reverse when he got close, and eventually turned and ran back to its owner.

I've no idea if that worked by fluke, that he managed to make him seem big and threatening enough that the dog changed its mind about being the boss, or whether that would work again.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
I think dogs should be licensed, owners required to take out insurance, and pass a competency test before they are allowed to take a dog out for a walk. Oh and they shouldnt RLJ either. Bloomin dogs.

Yeah, and they should have registration plates...

Dogs do like to chase things. But only if they run away. It's no fun chasing a stationary thing, or one that fights back. Most dogs can be quite easily out-fierced - although you shouldn't have to try. To a dog, a human waving his arms, shouting and kicking is actually pretty scary.

The problem is that a dog barks and is aggressive to you as you go by. You ride off, and the dog thinks "right, that's seen that one off - wahey!". And every time this performance is repeated, it re-inforces the dog's behaviour.

Owners need to train this out of the dog, perhaps by having a stooge cyclist that shouts back, or scares the dog in some way.

(My dog quite likes bikes. Just as well, really - he shares his bedroom with several of them).

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
We all braked to a stop but it wouldn't stop coming for us, so my friends father got off his bike and made for the dog. He started yelling at it in a voice that any drill sergeant would be proud of, and advanced on it all the time shouting at it. The dog barked back a few times but started to reverse when he got close, and eventually turned and ran back to its owner.

This is probably best advice and certainly no fluke Jacomus!
Stopping and greeting a chasing dog will, in the majority cases, make you a new and inquisitive friend.

Sadly a dog that is in attack mode may not be so easily detered which is where the making of lots of noise and standing your ground is essential.

This advice is good to instill in kids too who have a tendency to leg it in these circumstances. Keep running you are only further encouraging the dog to chase.

T x

Amanda P

Legendary Member
snorri said:
You keep your bikes in a kennel:?::becool::biggrin::ohmy:

Er, no. Ha ha. The other way round. I keep my dog in the bike shed/workshop/futility room. It's possibly the only bike shed in Yorkshire with a dog flap in the door.

Now if I could only get the bikes to come when I whistle...

Maz

Guru
Cyclecraft says it's the sight of rotating legs that freaks dogs out. Must be very trippy for them.

Top Bottom