Why do drivers hate cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevelancs

well after riding my current hybrid to commute after 20yrs off a bike its manic, I dont think road users hate us its not personal its more they hate us slowing them down as the world is in a rush. I am a driver by trade and always give time for cyclists as I understand how bad it is on bikes. Give room. The side of the road is gnarly at best with drains drops in tarmac etc so its understandable cyclists use room especially those on skinny tyres.

Its not just motorists people hate for any reason these days :smile:

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Doesn't necessarily mean they hate cyclists, it just means they're crap drivers.
biggrin.gif

Clearly a case of "When in Rome........"

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
They're still crap at home, believe me.
I've been cycling in France on a number of occasions (Brittany, Alps, Pyrenees) and, although I wouldn't want to portray a rose-tinted-spectacles view of the drivers there, my impression is this: As with the UK, there are certainly crap drivers over the channel but there appears to be a somewhat more benevolent attitude from other road users in general when it comes to cyclists. Granted, living in London I experience just about the worst of UK driver behaviour (and that can't really be compared with the generally rural experiences I've had in France) but, even in the UK countryside, there is a noticeable difference in the attitude of motorists when compared with their French counterparts.

abo

I can understand your missus. As a motorcyclists I more than despise motorists tailgating me as it puts my life at great risk with little consequence to them. I also slow right down coz I just cant tolerate it. I will pull over for drivers to pass if they are following me and clearly want to overtake, but tailgating really offends me beyond words. Thats one thing I love about mountain biking, no traffic to worry about.

Pointless holding tailgaters up IMHO, best just to let them go and have their own accident somewhere else away from you...

I remeber driving along the M6 through the lakes one time, there were three cars doing 70 in the outside lane, couldn't go anywhere due to traffic on the inside lanes. I was on the back of the train when this guy in an Audi A3 comes flying behind and starts aggressively tailgating me. So I let him go when I can, and he does the same to the car in front of me who eventually does the same. He then latches onto the back of the Volve V70 estate at the head of the queue. I think he was full of confidence now, having barged two cars out of the way, so he *really* gets close to this one.

Next thing, blue and red lights start flashing on the *unmarked police car* he is tailgating :whistle: :thumbsup: :laugh:

abo

Isn't that the show whose presenter used to take a high moral tone about drunk drivers and was then slapped with a long ban for just that offence?

I think it's more video wallpaper for gaps in the schedule than a TV show.

If bicycles are ever required to carry number plates, I'll eat my..... bicycle number plate.
We were watching one of these shows when they show a guy driving a Tigra through the streets of Middlesbrough. The commentator says he'd stolen the car from his partner after a row and was now trying to get away from the police. Just to stereotype, I said 'I bet he is gay'...

Eventually the Tigra crashes, the guy bails out and tries to run from the cops, but he does the worst 'girl run' I think I've seen and is quickly caught. Funny how often people *do* fit the stereotype :whistle:

raindog

er.....
I've been cycling in France on a number of occasions (Brittany, Alps, Pyrenees) and, although I wouldn't want to portray a rose-tinted-spectacles view of the drivers there, my impression is this: As with the UK, there are certainly crap drivers over the channel but there appears to be a somewhat more benevolent attitude from other road users in general when it comes to cyclists. Granted, living in London I experience just about the worst of UK driver behaviour (and that can't really be compared with the generally rural experiences I've had in France) but, even in the UK countryside, there is a noticeable difference in the attitude of motorists when compared with their French counterparts.
Yes, the "hate" towards cyclists seems to be a UK thing, and that's the subject of the OP, but I was answering this, which has nothing to do with hate, but everything to do with bad driving.

"Interestingly the handful of French-plated cars I've encountered on my couple of weeks of commuting usually produce an unnervingly close pass... "

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Interestingly the handful of French-plated cars I've encountered on my couple of weeks of commuting usually produce an unnervingly close pass...
I've also had a close pass from a German car this week - I wonder if it's because of their being left-hand drive, so it somehow alters their perception of how far from the cyclist they need to be, as they are not having to allow for a great lump of car between them and you.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Doesn't necessarily mean they hate cyclists, it just means they're crap drivers.
biggrin.gif

I would put that down to driving on left hand side of the road as generally, French drivers have a more lenient attitude to cycles and motorbikes.
In the UK, there is definitively a divide attitude between car drivers and two wheelers.
The car is king overhere and anything that interferes with cars is frowned upon by motorists. It is a fact of life!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Pointless holding tailgaters up IMHO, best just to let them go and have their own accident somewhere else away from you...

I remeber driving along the M6 through the lakes one time, there were three cars doing 70 in the outside lane, couldn't go anywhere due to traffic on the inside lanes. I was on the back of the train when this guy in an Audi A3 comes flying behind and starts aggressively tailgating me. So I let him go when I can, and he does the same to the car in front of me who eventually does the same. He then latches onto the back of the Volve V70 estate at the head of the queue. I think he was full of confidence now, having barged two cars out of the way, so he *really* gets close to this one.

Next thing, blue and red lights start flashing on the *unmarked police car* he is tailgating :whistle: :thumbsup: :laugh:

Karma has a wicked sense of humour :biggrin:

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
I've also had a close pass from a German car this week - I wonder if it's because of their being left-hand drive, so it somehow alters their perception of how far from the cyclist they need to be, as they are not having to allow for a great lump of car between them and you.
Yes, I had exactly the same experience. I pointed this out to the driver and...............he did it again!
wacko.gif

GrasB

Veteran
I once gently tapped on the back window of a Dutch registered car, the driver very quickly pulled out to a more normal road position for the UK. At the next set of lights the driver had wound down his window & apologised for getting that close. After pulling away from the lights he was taking up a lane position typical for driving on the opposite side of the road.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
I have said on a couple of threads before now "no wonder other road users hate us" but I don't really subscribe to that view. Most of my negative interactions have been caused by driver inattention and a couple of occasions by my own where I have had to put my hand up to say smidsy very occasionally there has been unwarranted abuse and a couple of occasions of usually teenage passengers spitting or throwing the remains of their thick milk shake at me. more than 95% of my cycling is completely incident free. I just wanted to point out it's easy to feel they are out to get us but the fact is it isn't so with the very odd exception. I do think that many of the problems that cyclists get are the same as other road users get. road rage is as common to other drivers as it is to us. The fact is we live in a much less tolerant and polite society than we used to every mistake becomes a personal insult and every negative interaction is perceived as a prelude to an insurance claim or law suit. The result, fewer people apologise as an apology is an admission of guilt. The backdrop to all the increase in road rage is, Less space on the roads, insurance companies who take advantage of the fact that motor vehicles have to have insurance and rip off the driver, a less polite populace and so on. In conclusion drivers don't hate cyclists (most don't) They hate everyone but It's not personal It's just the way that most of us react when we perceive ourselves to be thwarted. A side effect of the society we have turned into. IMO

Top Bottom