Why do drivers hate cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
...but in truth our roads are poorly designed and are way too narrow, making overtaking difficult so instead you get stuck behind someone going about 10 miles an hour - which is no fun at all....

I think you're right - it's just impatience and frustration but I wish the drivers would keep their brains engaged. Kendal has horrendous traffic, close to girdlock twice every day so drivers should realise that racing through the traffic light/junction and cutting up the cyclist will get them precisely nowhere as they have to stop in the next bit of the queue, whereas the cyclist glides on past the stationary cars. So why not let the cyclist get away then moisie across the junction without trying to get to 60mph in 30 metres and having to do an emergency stop to avoid hitting the other cars. It's this 'blinded by the cyclist' attitude that gets me. The drivers seem to make it a point of 'honour' not to do anything to make my life easier so I just cycle past the driver's side window and murmur something rude when I know I'm going to be home before they get out of the traffic jam.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Bicycle

Sometimes a little bit of tail gaiting shows the driver in front you would like to pass. If you hang back 2 or 3 car lengths the person in front may think you are happy at their speed.

Oh you cheeky, cheeky poster!

:biggrin:

I believe this might get the quantity of responses you're aiming for.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Tail gaiting provides the tailgater with the least visability of what is ahead and also makes it harder to overtake safely as building up speed can only be achieved once the car has been passed. Better to hang back ensure you have a clear path accelerate upto the car and then pass. That way you are at optimal OT speed and minimise your time in wrong lane.

MockCyclist

... people are bound to bully that slow motorists and rightly so.

Astonishing. There's no minimum speed limit in this country. Some drivers aren't comfortable with high speeds and drive within their own limits. Please don’t say they shouldn't be on the road if they can't travel faster, that would be real irony.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
But if that so called hold up is caused without good reason then people will naturally get pissed off. I come up behind the occasional motorist doing about 30mph or so on a 60mph road. Given the lack of safe overtaking opportunities then people are bound to bully that slow motorists and rightly so. Having said that, deliberately driving rediculously slow is a form of bullying itself as they are purposely causing an obstruction and inciting motorists to take risks.
Are you daring to say that bullying is acceptable? If so, you Sir are an idiot.

Bicycle

I fear this thread may have become a deliberate red rag. Huge fun, but it might upset some more 'serious' contributors.

This afternoon we've had the following:

1. Bullying slow drivers is fine... :ohmy:

2. Tailgating is a good way to let people know you want to pass them.... :sad:

We've also had some discussion about whether seatbelts in cars are a good thing...

This is huge fun to read, but I fear this silliness might cause some offence to someone who takes their own opinions very seriously....

Could a 'wind-up' flag be agreed for posts on this thread?

:rolleyes:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I fear this thread may have become a deliberate red rag. Huge fun, but it might upset some more 'serious' contributors.

This afternoon we've had the following:

1. Bullying slow drivers is fine... :ohmy:

2. Tailgating is a good way to let people know you want to pass them.... :sad:

We've also had some discussion about whether seatbelts in cars are a good thing...

This is huge fun to read, but I fear this silliness might cause some offence to someone who takes their own opinions very seriously....

Could a 'wind-up' flag be agreed for posts on this thread?

I find these tangental threads interesting but you are right in this case.

al78

Guru
Astonishing. There's no minimum speed limit in this country. Some drivers aren't comfortable with high speeds and drive within their own limits. Please don’t say they shouldn't be on the road if they can't travel faster, that would be real irony.

Up to a point.

http://www.ukadi.co.uk/2008/09/driving-test-failed-too-slow.html

There have been cases where the police have pulled over very slow drivers on the basis of inconsiderate driving or driving without due care or attention.

http://www.bllaw.co....n_motorway.aspx

You would also fail an advanced driving test for not making reasonable progress that the conditions allow.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wonderful. Just wonderful. You put the website of car accident lawyers touting for business up as your evidence the Isles Report is wrong.

Do you have any serious reports?

Why is the Isles Report right in your eyes. Was the Beeching report right? Anyway a small sample of available evidence to back up the assertion that seatbelts save lives.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1197/j.aem.2005.11.003/abstract

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/seatbelts.shtml

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme5/reportno98.pdf

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/aa-seat-belt-report.pdf

Bicycle

I have to admit I've never read the Isles Report.

I've looked at some of the writings of Adams; I think it's very clever and makes wonderful reading for people who live in a theoretical world.

It makes a great basis for dinner-table conversation, but I remain strongly in favour of lap & diagonal seatbelts.

I confess to not always wearing a belt, although my current modern car gets very cross and bings at me.

I also have an old relic with no belts and no 'binger' either.

With questions about the validity of seabelt laws, it may be best for people to keep their own opinions to themselves.

This is a cycling forum. It can be quite difficult to have an unobstructed view of the world around you from halfway up your own backside. I aim that comment at no-one in particular... particularly not anyone who bangs on about the Isles Report and how it re-shaped mankind's quest for truth and harmony.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have to admit I've never read the Isles Report.

I've looked at some of the writings of Adams; I think it's very clever and makes wonderful reading for people who live in a theoretical world.

It makes a great basis for dinner-table conversation, but I remain strongly in favour of lap & diagonal seatbelts.

I confess to not always wearing a belt, although my current modern car gets very cross and bings at me.

I also have an old relic with no belts and no 'binger' either.

With questions about the validity of seabelt laws, it may be best for people to keep their own opinions to themselves.

This is a cycling forum. It can be quite difficult to have an unobstructed view of the world around you from halfway up your own backside. I aim that comment at no-one in particular... particularly not anyone who bangs on about the Isles Report and how it re-shaped mankind's quest for truth and harmony.

:rofl:

Top Bottom