Why do drivers hate cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Astonishing. There's no minimum speed limit in this country. Some drivers aren't comfortable with high speeds and drive within their own limits. Please don’t say they shouldn't be on the road if they can't travel faster, that would be real irony.

WHOOPS SORRY I'VE JUST SEEN SOMEONE'S MADE THE SAME POINTS. IGNORE.

Isn't there an offence of making undue progress? I know at one time it would be a test fail and it seems to be supported by the Highway Code recommendation for slow moving traffic to pull over.

People (in cars) tootling at 40mph on a 60 mph road should be pulled over by the Police imho.

400bhp

Guru
You often find the person doing 42 in a NSL continues to do 42 in a 30.

42 seems to be the speed for these types BTW.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
WHOOPS SORRY I'VE JUST SEEN SOMEONE'S MADE THE SAME POINTS. IGNORE.

Isn't there an offence of making undue progress? I know at one time it would be a test fail and it seems to be supported by the Highway Code recommendation for slow moving traffic to pull over.

People (in cars) tootling at 40mph on a 60 mph road should be pulled over by the Police imho.
Do the weather conditions allow for 60mph?

MockCyclist

The post was really about someone suggesting it's ok to bully slow motorists … and on a thread which is bemoaning motorists bullying slow cyclists.

Bicycle

Hmmm, you seem to have dissected my post, and put me all out of context. :-)

If I wanted to troll, I would have suggested tailgaiting squeaky little cans on the school run in my Range Rover only improved my crumple zone and better protected Tarquin and Anabel. However it wasn't meant as a troll, and in any case I don't drive Satan's chariot.
biggrin.gif

I've had another look at your post and it still looks to me that you're advocating briefly closing right up on a driver to demonstrate your intention to pass.

You suggest that this is better than hanging 2 or 3 car lengths behind them, where they might not get the message.

First; at normal extra-urban speeds 2 or 3 car lengths is terribly close. I should say dangerously close.

Secondly; in the same post you suggest slowing to 20-30 mph if tailgated by a large 4x4 on an NSL road where passing is difficult. You accept that this might annoy the following driver.

I appreciate that your vaunted method of signalling an intention to pass involves tailgating only momentarily, but it is still tailgating.

Your proposed antidote to someone tailgating over a longer period of time is to slow to 20 or 30.... Who is to the the arbiter of what represents an acceptable period of time?

I live between Herefordshire, London and the Valleys. Much of my driving and cycling is done is single-carriageway NSL roads where passing is not possible.

I am very surprised that you think it safe to tailgate someone momentarily to signal a wish to pass.

I'm also surprised that you appear to suggest that 2 or 3 car lengths is a safe distance or 'hanging back'.

The advocating of a driver slowing to 20 or 30 to deter aggressive tailgating by a 4x4 just baffles me. What do you think I should do if I find myself in a bull's field with a red rag in my hand? Wave it maybe?

There are awful drivers out there. We are not the Police.

I do not hang about when driving but would be uncomfortable if followed on an extra-urban road at 2 or 3 car lengths. So would most drivers.

Similarly, I would be slightly intimidated by a motorist coming up to 'tailgating' distance from my car to signal a wish to pass. So would most drivers.

Further, when you slow down to 20 or 30 as a response to the tailgating 4x4, you not only enrage the bull, you slow down every driver behind him or her for the duration of the procedure.

I'm not sure I dissected your post and put it all out of context. I really thought you were dropping a Mickey Finn in the vodka. Having re-read your post and others on this thread, I'm still not sure.

We all have moments as drivers of cyclists when we find ourselves too close to another vehicle. It's embarrassing but it happens.

Few of us would advocate it on a forum thread. :sad:

GrasB

Veteran
Do the weather conditions allow for 60mph?
Many years ago I was driving up a motorway in a little Fiat Cinquecento when the heavens opened. It only took a few seconds of torrential downpour before I could feel the car darting left & right as it got pulled this way by the small road imperfections as it repeatedly aquaplaned momentarily on the deeper bits of standing water while doing 70mph. I slowed down to 35-40mph where I had full control of the car, still there were many cars passing me doing +70mph. I got of the motorway ASAP & tip-toed my way home on back roads. When I got home, several hours late, my girlfriend was frantically worried because there had been a massive pile up on the route I would have normally used. The reason for the pile up? On a particularly deep bit of standing water 2 cars had slid into the central reservation & gone spiralling across the carriage way hitting various other vehicles - in short, they were driving to fast for the weather conditions.

My mates mam was what's best described as a hesitant driver and was getting tailgated and flashed by a car following.

She woke my mate, who was asleep in the passenger seat and probably not visible from behind, and mentioned it.
He said he'd have a look to see if there was anything wrong with their car at the next red light.
As he got out the car to check the bumper was still on, (he's 6'3" 20+ stone with a face that's been slept in), he could hear the doors locking and windows closing on the car behind, the driver shrinking into his seat and passengers pretending they were engrossed in something out of the side windows.

There are times when words aren't needed. He just checked his mams car, stared into theirs, smiled and got back in the passenger seat and they carried on as they were but minus flashing lights.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Many years ago I was driving up a motorway in a little Fiat Cinquecento when the heavens opened. It only took a few seconds of torrential downpour before I could feel the car darting left & right as it got pulled this way by the small road imperfections as it repeatedly aquaplaned momentarily on the deeper bits of standing water while doing 70mph. I slowed down to 35-40mph where I had full control of the car, still there were many cars passing me doing +70mph. I got of the motorway ASAP & tip-toed my way home on back roads. When I got home, several hours late, my girlfriend was frantically worried because there had been a massive pile up on the route I would have normally used. The reason for the pile up? On a particularly deep bit of standing water 2 cars had slid into the central reservation & gone spiralling across the carriage way hitting various other vehicles - in short, they were driving to fast for the weather conditions.

Sadly some people only learn the hard way. When in my 20's I believed that the speed limit was an invitation to drive that fast now 40 I realise it is a max speed in optimal conditions.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My mates mam was what's best described as a hesitant driver and was getting tailgated and flashed by a car following.

She woke my mate, who was asleep in the passenger seat and probably not visible from behind, and mentioned it.
He said he'd have a look to see if there was anything wrong with their car at the next red light.
As he got out the car to check the bumper was still on, (he's 6'3" 20+ stone with a face that's been slept in), he could hear the doors locking and windows closing on the car behind, the driver shrinking into his seat and passengers pretending they were engrossed in something out of the side windows.

There are times when words aren't needed. He just checked his mams car, stared into theirs, smiled and got back in the passenger seat and they carried on as they were but minus flashing lights.

Similar tail but 6'7" Major in the R.M.P was the driver :smile:

JBP

Surely that should be "Why do British drivers hate cyclists?". Go to France and it's an entirely different attitude.

Interestingly the handful of French-plated cars I've encountered on my couple of weeks of commuting usually produce an unnervingly close pass...

raindog

er.....
Interestingly the handful of French-plated cars I've encountered on my couple of weeks of commuting usually produce an unnervingly close pass...
Doesn't necessarily mean they hate cyclists, it just means they're crap drivers.
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom