Why do drivers hate cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Ok, I'm a motorist who is looking to start cycling. To be honest, until recently I barely even noticed a cyclist, other then as an annoyance slowing down my commute to work.
I was never nasty, or rude, but possibly guilty of not giving them quite as much room as I should have when overtaking.
I never 'hated' cyclist, but in truth our roads are poorly designed and are way too narrow, making overtaking difficult so instead you get stuck behind someone going about 10 miles an hour - which is no fun at all.

I'm sure it's this frustration that eventually boils over and leads to close overtaking - rather then any actual malice towards the rider ( the driver in GrasB's post not included obviously)

10 miles an hour? I travel faster than that as an average speed. 15-16mph averages, on flats I can do 25mph without much effort, descents up to 41mph so far and can go faster. Do you cut up a slower moving car or close overtake? No didn't think so.

kedab

Veteran
i don't hate anyone on the road really but i do hate sh!t drivers and sh!t cyclists - do something spectacularly stupid/dangerous/illogical/against the laws in my vicinity and i will get just as angry no matter your choice of transport - i will forgive you if you apologise quickly though - which is why i always hold my hand up in a pre-emptive wave of apology and mouth 'sorry' over my shoulder just seconds before i break my own rules ;)

NeilEB

10 miles an hour? I travel faster than that as an average speed. 15-16mph averages, on flats I can do 25mph without much effort, descents up to 41mph so far and can go faster. Do you cut up a slower moving car or close overtake? No didn't think so.

Ok let me explain.

For instnace yesterday on my way home after a long journey home from Manchester, I was close to home and found myself behind a cyclist doing around 10mph. There wasn't enough room to overtake (I live in London, narrow streets etc), so I sat back and waited for a gap. I could see the guy in the car behind me was getting impatient, and he actually followed me in overtaking the bike - but he must have been pretty close the the traffic island when he was passing.

All I was trying to highlight is that before I decided to take up cycling, I wasn't really aware of bikes as anything other then slow moving things delaying me on my way to work.

So in answer to the original question: most drivers don't hate cyclists, but some dislike being slowed down by them on their daily commute.

Drivers don't hate cyclists. If they did then I'd hate myself 'cause I'm both. I think people in general are just becoming more self-centred and impatient. Many people get outraged if someone holds them up for 2 seconds, whether it's someone on a bike, someone driving slowly, or someone being slow putting their things away at the till. Many people don't see themselves as part of society anymore, it's just me, me, me.

But if that so called hold up is caused without good reason then people will naturally get pissed off. I come up behind the occasional motorist doing about 30mph or so on a 60mph road. Given the lack of safe overtaking opportunities then people are bound to bully that slow motorists and rightly so. Having said that, deliberately driving rediculously slow is a form of bullying itself as they are purposely causing an obstruction and inciting motorists to take risks.

:laugh:i had to make my missus aware of this very fact a few weeks ago! slowing right down on a dual carriageway just cos some div was sitting quite close behind - i was like, 'er...WTF are you doing honey?!'

I can understand your missus. As a motorcyclists I more than despise motorists tailgating me as it puts my life at great risk with little consequence to them. I also slow right down coz I just cant tolerate it. I will pull over for drivers to pass if they are following me and clearly want to overtake, but tailgating really offends me beyond words. Thats one thing I love about mountain biking, no traffic to worry about.

Ok let me explain.
I was close to home and found myself behind a cyclist doing around 10mph.

So in answer to the original question: most drivers don't hate cyclists, but some dislike being slowed down by them on their daily commute.

And the average speed for traffic in London is.......?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No they didn't but they didn't go down. Read the Isles Report.
That is one report. Others show that they clearly save lives!

cd365

Guru

Lots of cyclists pootle along at 10 mile an hour or so. I have witnessed many cars cutting in front of a slower moving vehicle and have been overtaken in my car many times and thought that the other car was way to close when they started/during/completing an overtake. It's not just cyclists who suffer from poor drivers. I have been on my motorbike and have had cars try to block me from overtaking.

Bicycle

Police, Camera, Action just did a spot on RLJ'S and pavement cyclists and mentioned the possibility of bikes being given number plates.

Isn't that the show whose presenter used to take a high moral tone about drunk drivers and was then slapped with a long ban for just that offence?

I think it's more video wallpaper for gaps in the schedule than a TV show.

If bicycles are ever required to carry number plates, I'll eat my..... bicycle number plate.

Top Bottom