Why do I do stuff like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I've just spent around 1.5 hours making a program which generates a DNA sequence, names the amino acids it creates, generates the single letter code, mutates it, then compares it to the old one.

Here's an example with 10 amino acids:
ATGGTGAATAGTAGTGGTAATGAGGGTTAA
START-Valine-Asparagine-Serine-Serine-Glycine-Asparagine-Glutamic Acid-Glycine-STOP
SLC Code: MVNSSGNEG

Then I can mutate it by 25%:
ATGATGAGTAGGAGTAGTGATTGGGGTTAA
START-Valine-Asparagine-Serine-Serine-Glycine-Asparagine-Glutamic Acid-Glycine-STOP-START-START-Serine-Arginine-Serine-Serine-Aspartic Acid-Tryptophan-Glycine-STOP
SLC Code: MMSRSSDWG

I should really put some effort into my AS Levels or something ;)

It is quite interesting to find what the actual protein they make is. (Those 2 are fictional, the second is broken).

thomas

the tank engine
That's nice :smile:

Thankfully I have a month off before I need to start programming again...got some pair work, making a car lift share selling website and a bit of database/java programming to complete (might have to do a little bit of that over Easter).

Now, do something useful...actually, I could send you my coursework sheet and you could have a go at it, maybe put my name on it and send it to me?

I'll be down the Pub when you're done ;):ohmy:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sam Kennedy said:
I've just spent around 1.5 hours making a program which generates a DNA sequence, names the amino acids it creates, generates the single letter code, mutates it, then compares it to the old one.

I should really put some effort into my AS Levels or something ;)

It is quite interesting to find what the actual protein they make is. (Those 2 are fictional, the second is broken).

You've got too much time on your hands. Have a play with Jmol, a molecule viewer and spend time creating visualisations of proteins suitable for deployment over the Internet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so I cannot answer your question. Perhaps you are a very sick puppy?

rh100

Sam Kennedy said:
ATGGTGAATAGTAGTGGTAATGAGGGTTAA
START-Valine-Asparagine-Serine-Serine-Glycine-Asparagine-Glutamic Acid-Glycine-STOP
SLC Code: MVNSSGNEG

Then I can mutate it by 25%:
ATGATGAGTAGGAGTAGTGATTGGGGTTAA
START-Valine-Asparagine-Serine-Serine-Glycine-Asparagine-Glutamic Acid-Glycine-STOP-START-START-Serine-Arginine-Serine-Serine-Aspartic Acid-Tryptophan-Glycine-STOP
SLC Code: MMSRSSDWG

QUOTE]

so are those campag or shimano part numbers then? :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
See if you can re-design the human genome from scratch, and make the world a nicer place :smile:
Or just invent a gene that makes everyone want to cycle, and have good road sense etc :eek:

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

vernon said:
You've got too much time on your hands. Have a play with Jmol, a molecule viewer and spend time creating visualisations of proteins suitable for deployment over the Internet.

Would it sound sad if I told you I already tried that...... :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Nope.

What surprises me is that I've not seen any school/college based web sites that use Jmol effectively if at all.

There's got to be a market out there for some decent pages. I first dabbled with it ( or rather it's predecessor) in 1996 and included a couple interactive molecule pages in a school based web site that went on to win the high school category of Microsoft's Road Ahead Prize. I collected the prize personally from Bill Gates in Lisbon.

The ensuing acrimony over how the winnings should be spent in my school lead to a fourteen year gap before I build another web site other than ones to demonstrate the skills to pupils but that's another story.

Top Bottom