Why do I get so many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

I have had another two punctures since I posted this !!! I have fitted new rim tape and tubes. I do not ride near the curb the only thing I can put it down to is the country roads I ride on are quite bumpy, I have reduced the tyre pressure from 120psi to 90psi if this does not work their will be a nice 1980's Carlton road bike on a Local Authority tip tomorrow.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
If you can get Schwalbe Marathon Plus in that size, do so straight away. Only things that punctured me after fitting them were a 2-inch nail and a 1-inch piece of glass. The other stuff that would normally leave you flat just gets stuck in the outer layers of the tyre for you to pick put at your leisure.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The Eighth Man said:
I have had another two punctures since I posted this !!! I have fitted new rim tape and tubes. I do not ride near the curb the only thing I can put it down to is the country roads I ride on are quite bumpy, I have reduced the tyre pressure from 120psi to 90psi if this does not work their will be a nice 1980's Carlton road bike on a Local Authority tip tomorrow.

Go for schwalbe marathon plus tyres. May be a bit heavier but they are almost bomb proof.

However if you decide to bin your bike what size is it and where are you based ? :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I ask whether the p***tures are all happening on one wheel/in the same place on one wheel? If they are, there probably is some shard that's embedded itself. Try switching tyres and see if there's any change? If not - if they're happening on both wheels and in random places - I sympathise but can offer no solution. Other than bomb-proof tyres, as recommended by others.

FWIW, my problems with the p***ture fairy dropped off a cliff after I followed some advice given to me on this board: 120 back, 100 front, check regularly. (& I do 15 miles a day on London roads, on 'ordinary' tyres.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Eighth Man said:
I have reduced the tyre pressure from 120psi to 90psi

Surely it's better to leave at 120psi then at 90psi, as glass, nails, thorns etc would find it harder to puncture a higher pressurised tyre.

But then again, I may be wrong.

MERV

I used to get a lot of punctures on certain bikes.A lot of the time it was too much weight on the back will and something to do with the frame.At a suspicion.Generally it was crap tyres as we..

Now tyres are much better but it does help if you pick the glass out every now and again.(must do that soon)

mootaineer

I bought a pair of these after being extremely frustrated with a series of p*******s (you actually get 2 for £9.99, which I didn't know)
http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/mr_tuffy_tyre_liner_road.html

I've only used them for a few rides (back wheel only) but so far I've had no problems.
I wasn't sure about the effect they'd have on the pressures I'm able to achieve but so far I feel like I'm able to roll as fast as before.
This way I can use really grippy rubber without worrying about anything other than wear...

Mr Pig

I got fed up getting punctures and bought some Specialized Nimbus tyres with kevlar belting in them. They have been fantastic, one puncture in about six years and that was when the tyre was worn right down. Incidently, I cycle on glass strewn cycle track and very rough back roads a lot.

I found the Spesh Nimbus a little bit skitty (if thats the right word) but bomb proof (one p####ture in the 3 years I used them). I'm using conti's on my 3 bike now and prefer them IME they've got a good resistance too. 1 UDE in the year (3500mls I think) I've had the commuter (I should have saw that 1/2 bottle in the middle of the path :evil:) (Conti Contacts) and none on the summer bike (a year old, only done 1300miles) (conti GP) or the winter bike (I fitted the tyres 6 months ago, Conti 4 seasons).

Wolf04

The Eighth Man said:
What tyres are you using? Are 1980's as well?

cntl

Originally Posted by HLaB
I found the Spesh Nimbus a little bit skitty...
>>I'd agree. Don't grip as well as I'd like.

If puncture protection is The Most Important criterion (and for me at least, it is), then Marathon Pluses are the only answer.

Top Bottom