Why do I get so many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

I have new wheels with Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase Tyres (700c x 28c) fitted always pumped up to 120 PSI and seem to get a puncture every time I go out. :smile::angry::biggrin::smile:!

what is causing the punctures ?

Wolf04

It's because you have angered the P Fairy by mentioning the P word! As the others have asked what are the symptoms, are they pinch flats? With telltale snakebite double hole or are you finding sharps piercing the tyre?

Wolf04

Old Walrus said:
Check, check and check again for something small and sharp hidden in the tyre carcase. It took me a couple of weeks to wheedle out a tiny shard of glass.
It's the most likely cause. Use chalk to mark the tyre where the valve is, then find the p***ture on the tube and using the chalk mark find where on the tyre it happened. Run your fingers carefully around the inside of the tyre to find the sharp.

Tynan

Veteran
rim tape

had this once with a new bike and I was ready to cry, a couple of metres of electrical tape saved my sanity

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

I am going to try new rim tape as nobody can get as many punctures as me, as the tyres are new the wheels are new and so are the tubes.

First try and find out why you are getting so many Punctures Ie get one of the tubes out of the wheel and then pump it up find the hole then fix the problem?

ajc

Seconded for the rim tape, I replaced mine with some decent stuff from Wiggle (£1.99), I never thought of electrical tape though ! I found the original tape wasn't covering the spoke holes properly.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wot Spandex said.

If the problem is rim tape, the holes will be on the side of the tube facing the hub. If not, you'll be replacing the tape for no good reason, which would annoy me if it were my bike.

ajc

I was really pleased with changing my rim tape, for starters its stopped punctures and secondly its better tape than the original. Nowt to get annoyed about for £1.99. tubes cost way more than that. :biggrin:

cupoftea

I know this sounds like I'm having a go but I'm not, do you ride in the gutter, or spend most of your time over to the left? I used to, and I found once I moved out further the number of punctures dropped

Top Bottom