Why do I get so many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

No punctures today !! the tyres are Bontrager racelite hardcase triple puncture resistant tyres about 3 months old. They must be pinch punctures as the holes are on the inside of the tube.

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

Another puncture today again a pinch puncture ???

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Eighth Man, I can't help thinking there is something seriously amiss here.
The Hardcases should be good tyres, my pal has them and they're trouble-free.

Is it always the back or front or random?
Assume you're riding on regular roads?
Assume there are no puncture holes/nicks in the tyres that match-up with the puncture?
Assume that the puncture is not always in the same place relative to the valve?
Assume that the punctures are on the outside of the tubes not the inside of the inside, i.e from the rim?

How heavy are you and what pressures have you been riding?
Do you go down curbs?
Do you encounter many potholes?
Do you ride on any stony/rough areas?
Do punctures occur on the same part of your journey?

Frankly it all seems odd...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
There is something odd.

The Eighth Man said:
They must be pinch punctures as the holes are on the inside of the tube.

The inside of the tube; where the spoke-ends are?

Realise you have fitted new rim-tape, but is it still intact? run a finger around it- anything protruding? (even if it hasn't broken through) rough spots?

1980s Carlton?, original rims? what size?

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

The wheels are brand new deep dish 700c rims the spokes cannot get anywhere near the tubes, I have fitted brand new rim tape. I am around 13.5 stone and the tyres are now back up to 120 psi, the punctures have been three in the back tyre and one in the front. I am now sure it is from the roads I ride on but I do not know how other people manage to avoid pot holes when in traffic as some times it is just not possible to avoid them.

Tharg2007

Veteran
if you have been riding these roads for a while you should know where all these pot holes are, try lifting your arse off the saddle just before you hit it and let your arms and legs act like suspension allowing the bike to move up and down without 13.5 stone sat on it.

I am 14.9 stone and I ride the urmston to manchester commute daily and have only had one flat recently and I knew I hit the pot hole too hard. I have some pretty rough road surface to deal with and I either weave around it, move out to primary or lift up of the saddle, seems to work for me.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
They occur mostly when you hit a pothole then?

I find it's ususally possible to avoid most potholes. Very occasionally I'll get caught out but normally I'd be anticipating them and adjusting my road position well in advance. Ride further out if the potholes are down the left hand side. When you absolutely must hit them try and ride over them as "lightly" as possible, sort of like trying for a bunny hop, but not actually leaving the ground.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What rim tape? I'm no expert, but I read on one of these groups that Zefal was the one to get and I did & I haven't had a pinch since. With all the trouble you've had, I'd have thought a fiver would be worth a punt. What's the downside? Waste of a fiver?

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

Tharg2007 said:
if you have been riding these roads for a while you should know where all these pot holes are, try lifting your arse off the saddle just before you hit it and let your arms and legs act like suspension allowing the bike to move up and down without 13.5 stone sat on it.

I am 14.9 stone and I ride the urmston to manchester commute daily and have only had one flat recently and I knew I hit the pot hole too hard. I have some pretty rough road surface to deal with and I either weave around it, move out to primary or lift up of the saddle, seems to work for me.

I think that is what I will have to do, because this is the only thing it can be. The roads I ride on seem to have a lot of the top surface breaking up, this in turn leaves large areas of road that are very bumpy, I will just have to slow down and avoid these areas at all costs.

Top Bottom