Why do I keep weighing myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
But i don't see the point when there is such a big fluctuation. Weekly is better, even 2 weekly. Women's weight fluctuates much more generally anyhow

Because it's not the daily weights you are interested in. You are just as likely to have variable weekly weigh ins dependant on things like how hydrated you have been for the previous few days or how much salt you have consumed as you are with daily. The point of collecting more data points is that you can plot the underlying trend which is less prone to temporary fluctuations.

redcard

Veteran
I lost 3KG after a year of cycling. I lost 2.5KG after 2 weeks eating proper food, and 2 weeks cycling.

Cycling doesn't help you lose weight, it makes you eat more.

lulubel

Über Member
2000 is very little for a 19stone man. How did you arrive at that figure?

I agree with this. Cutting calories by too much can be as harmful to weight loss as not cutting them enough. If you've been doing it for a while, it will put your body into starvation mode, which means your energy levels will drop, and you'll find it harder to be physically active (your body's way of forcing you to burn less calories). Technically, you shouldn't go into starvation mode at 19 stone, but everyone is different, and if you've been on crash diets in the past (5 - 8 pounds a week is a crash diet), that will have had a negative impact on your metabolism.

The big red flag to me was when you said you're getting hungry 20 minutes into a ride. If you were eating enough (or, as has already been said, the right kind of food) that wouldn't happen.

In your position, I'd try increasing calorie intake by 500 a day for a couple of weeks, and carry on with your current activity. If the weight starts to drop off you, which I think it will, you'll know you're on the right track. And if you're not on the right track, 2500 calories a day isn't enough for you to gain weight at your level of activity.

Chris.IOW

Muscle is heavier than fat, so it's not all bad news ! :smile:

No it doesn't, 1lb of Fat weighs exactly the same as 1lb of muscle.

Muscle is however leaner than fat and therefore takes up less space, therefore rather than weighing yourself all the time take your measurments, Chest, Waist, Stomach, Legs etc. The change in these can be more revealing IF fat is being replaced by muscle.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've no idea why I weigh myself every morning. Honestly, no idea. For some reason the scales always come before the traditional 3Ss. And it's a complete non-story: I've just got back near my usual summer weight but it's never varied more than 5kg and I'm not overweight, yet first thing in the morning it's the first thing I do. No idea at all!

Top Bottom