Why do I keep weighing myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A11an

Regular
Not sure why I keep weighing myself but it's getting me down, I've never cycled so much before but not seeing any loss.

I feel really good and feel like I've lost weight but the scales so NO, my food is not too bad but getting really hungry after 20 mile ride

just wondering if anyone else went through this kind of thing

Allan

BSRU

A Human Being
Not sure why I keep weighing myself but it's getting me down, I've never cycled so much before but not seeing any loss.

I feel really good and feel like I've lost weight but the scales so NO, my food is not too bad but getting really hungry after 20 mile ride

just wondering if anyone else went through this kind of thing

Allan
My weight has not changed for three years but it is obvious cycling is having an effect, signs like tightening my belt to stop my trousers falling down or my wedding ring keeps trying to slip off as two examples.

OP
OP
A11an

A11an

Regular
It must be because I'm getting older, if I had done this 15 years ago the weight would have fallen off, just seems so hard these days and easy to fall off the wagon.

MarkF

Guru
I get out of shape every winter and weight 83/85kg, but a wobbly 85kg. Now (& each summer) because I am cycling a lot, I look great, a different and tighter shape, I still weigh 83/85kg's though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You shouldn't really be getting particularly hungry after just 20 miles of cycling, so that makes me think that you are not eating the right kind of food beforehand, and/or you are not drinking enough water (it is easy to mistake thirst for hunger). Try and make sure to drink at least 500 mL and maybe as much as 750 mL during your ride.

Have a decent portion of porridge for breakfast, with the fruit of your choice chopped into it. That will set you up nicely for the day.

Most of any weight loss will come from not taking the calories in, rather than burning them off. To give you some very rough figures - if your weight had been remaining stable then reducing your calorie by 500 calories a day for a week would lose you the same amount of weight as cycling 100 miles - about a pound.

Take a look at the 'fasting' thread. Many of us are doing pretty well on a 5:2 fasting regime. I have lost nearly 1.5 stone this year despite not getting much exercise, due to illness.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like @BSRU I've kept the same weight for the past year - but have a different balance of muscle.

It does take time for weight to come off if you're just starting out; I put on weight for the first few weeks on a bike, then it rocketed off.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having cycled/exercised and eaten a bit healthier for the last few years, I now average 71kilo and am fairly happy with that. I do weigh myself regularly (except No1 daughter has recently stolen the bathroom scales... )

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Don't look at me for weight loss advice. I've been cycling for three years and am about the same (obese) weight as I was when I started :sad:.

OTOH I am now off statins and blood pressure tablets, and feel significantly fitter than I did three years ago.

With the weighing though, if you are weighing yourself every day, then hydration, salt intake, when you last had a meal etc. can cause a lot of noise in the numbers. To try and strip this out, follow a 10/14 day rolling average for your weight instead (easy to set up in something like Excel) and that should smooth some of the noise out and show the actual trend in your weight.

OP
OP
A11an

A11an

Regular
I think because I'm 19st 11lbs it should come off easier, i always lose a stone easy which i have with healthy eating (was 20st 11lbs) , anyway I'm loving the cycling and not sure why I'm on this downer!

OP
OP
A11an

A11an

Regular
To try and strip this out, follow a 10/14 day rolling average for your weight instead (easy to set up in something like Excel) and that should smooth some of the noise out and show the actual trend in your weight.

Good idea, I'll do that

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you also eating fewer calories, esp bad stuff. Cut out booze as much as possible too. Lots of people track food intake using mydailyplate. I have been using weight watchers

Good luck, it will come off or your clothes will get looser

As a rough rule of thumb, cycling burns approx 30-50 cals a mile depending on effort, terrain, metabolism.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And weigh yourself once a week only, maybe a Monday or Tuesday morning
If you are the kind of person who doesn't fret about the odd 2 pounds gained or lost here and there, then that is a good approach.

If you do worry and are easily disheartened, then the better approach is to do what was suggested above and weigh yourself every day and take a rolling average.

Top Bottom