Why do people bother to carry puncture repair kits with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear latex gloves for work and never put my nails through, maybe you have the wrong size gloves. Also what cornflour? unpowdered is the way to go.

Sorry to get "serious"

Latex allergy is a real issue and many of the powders act as irritants and sensitisers exacerbating the issues

If you go down this route - unpowered nitrile gloves

What do those pictures mean?

Mean the pictures what?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wear latex gloves for work and never put my nails through, maybe you have the wrong size gloves.
Most of them say "one size" but it's more likely because my nails are pretty hard and damage walls and other bits of buildings if I'm not careful. Even thicker lab gloves don't last long if I'm doing the sort of tasks which require holding things with my fingertips, as most cycling repairs do. It's only oil or dirt, so I just wipe it off after and wash when possible.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
In the off chance that your tyres get punctured, would you not just use public transport?

I would lock my bike up to a nearby rack, and then catch a bus or taxi to where-ever I need to be. Do other people's tyres get punctured that often to make it worthwhile constantly carrying a repair kit?

In the four years that I have been reading this forum this post is without a single shadow of a doubt the most pointless, inane and idiotic question I have thus far read. I can't believe the thread had gone to six pages.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Unlike many of their owners, my vittoria voyager hypers act like a homing beacon to the pf and so I carry at least 2 spare tubes along with the p kit levers and pump.
My latest visit was twice on an 11 mile route to Urmston from Bolton along ncr55 on Monday. No buses on that route really. Plus the added benefit that the chances of my bike still being were I left it despite using every lock on the planet are zilch.
I'd rather carry my bike loaded with bricks than leave it for a bus.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In the off chance that your tyres get punctured, would you not just use public transport?

I would lock my bike up to a nearby rack, and then catch a bus or taxi to where-ever I need to be. Do other people's tyres get punctured that often to make it worthwhile constantly carrying a repair kit?
Are you being serious?

you think its easier to leave the bike, pay for transport then come back and what, collect the bike in a car?

You're messing right?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Has the OP been back. Not carrying a kit can also mean missing meetings on a commute. Wonder where he lives with ample public transport and a taxi on hand. Not outside of inner London ?

I started carrying CO2 as that took changes down to 5 minutes as pumping up the tyres can take time. I had changed my route that included a glass strewn shared cycle path (old rail line) which meant a sturdier tyre also.

Weekend rides, I rarely ever punctured, but it's always good to have spares as the odd numpty you could help...

Top Bottom