Why do people do this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.Primus

I was cycling home last night and from Bank to Old St Roundabout where there is a set of traffic lights about every 150m.

There was about 3 cyclists in front of me all going reasonably quick so I was quite happy to tuck in behind them. At the second set of red lights where everyone is stopped a lady cycles past all of us and then stops in front of everyone. The lights go green and it turns out she is pretty slow, everyone overtakes her which is a bit of a faff but never mind. Turns out the the next set of lights are red and once again about 50 seconds later she cycles past everyone and stops in front.

I think we hit approximately 5 red lights and she did the same thing every single time. I don't understand the mentality that makes people do this. If someone is faster than you then wait behind them at the lights! It's not a one off either as I've noticed quite a few people seem to feel obliged to push to the front of a stationary set of bikes no matter how slow they are. Surely you must notice the stream of bikes attempting to get around you at every green light or are some people really that oblivious.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Bloody cyclists. They recon they own the roads. It's not even as if she pays road tax.

I don't understand it either. It's not even British - where's her queuing gene!

Seriously though - when I see I'm gaining on a slow cyclist, if they reach red lights before me, I queue behind them even though I know I'm going to overtake them as soon as we move - its just polite to queue in the order you reach the lights as far as I'm concerned!*

*unless of course the vehicles reaching the lights first are cars :tongue:

jack the lad

Don't you think that the behaviour of the overtakers is just a bit silly.

There was about 3 cyclists in front of me all going reasonably quick so I was quite happy to tuck in behind them. At the second set of red lights where everyone is stopped a lady cycles past all of us and then stops in front of everyone. The lights go green and it turns out she is pretty slow, everyone overtakes her which is a bit of a faff but never mind. Turns out the the next set of lights are red and once again about 50 seconds later she cycles past everyone and stops in front.

I think we hit approximately 5 red lights and we did the same thing every single time, even though we always had to wait for more than 50 seconds for them to change. I don't understand the mentality that makes people do this. If someone is slower than you, then follow them between lights! It's not a one off either as I've noticed quite a few people seem to feel obliged to overtake no matter that the next lights are red. Surely you must notice the stream of bikes catching you up at every red light or are some people really that oblivious.

Just slow down and try to hit every set of lights on green! Problem solved.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I think it's completely subconscious, and they don't give it a second thought.

tadpole

Do you pass cars that are stopped at the lights? Despite knowing that for the most part they are faster than you?
Yes, then what's your problem with the woman doing the same...

OP
OP
J.Primus

J.Primus

Don't you think that the behaviour of the overtakers is just a bit silly.

I think we hit approximately 5 red lights and we did the same thing every single time, even though we always had to wait for more than 50 seconds for them to change. I don't understand the mentality that makes people do this. If someone is slower than you, then follow them between lights! It's not a one off either as I've noticed quite a few people seem to feel obliged to overtake no matter that the next lights are red. Surely you must notice the stream of bikes catching you up at every red light or are some people really that oblivious.

Just slow down and try to hit every set of lights on green! Problem solved.

It's not a massive problem, just a minor irritation really. Just curious if it's something people do on purpose like when a car just has to overtake you, or force of habit like driving in the middle lane religiously on a motorway.

That said I don't see why I should have to cycle at 9mph on my way home because someone else has to be first at the lights, I do enjoy the exercise element as well as the convenience of commuting by bike.

tadpole

So by that logic should I wait until she stops and then push past and stop in front her even further in front of the lights?
No by my logic you should accept that people are all different and not get so wound up by other people doing to you what you yourself do to other people,

OP
OP
J.Primus

J.Primus

No by my logic you should accept that people are all different and not get so wound up by other people doing to you what you yourself do to other people,
Who said I was getting so wound up, as I said it's just a minor irritation.
Also your comparison doesn't really work as cars are going to overtake the cyclists regardless and in most cases they are going to do so without having to change their line into another stream of traffic. There is no extra danger as a result.
In this case all the cyclists have to pull out into primary to overtake, taking them into the general stream of traffic which is more dangerous than if the person just waited in line with everyone else.

Top Bottom